Solved

Change trains in Gare Chambéry - Challes-les-Eaux?

• 21 June 2022
  • 1 reply

Hi!

I want to go from Barcelona to Bologna and the Railplanner app suggested the following route:

9:10 Barcelona-Sants

13:32 Valence TGV Rhone-Alpes Sud

26 min Change trains

13:58 Valence TGV

15:39 Chambery Challes Les Eaux

5 min (!!!) Change trains

15:44 Chambery Challes Les Eaux

18:15 Torino Porta Susa

55 min Change trains

19:10 Torino Porta Susa

21:24 Bologna

I realize this is a more than a 12 hour trip, but I have no problem with that. What I am concerned about is the 5 min change in Chambery Challes Les Eaux, is that even possible? Does you guys know if those trains leave from the same platform or how I could find that out beforehand?

Also: There are “Seat reservations required” on the trains crossing the borders (30-35€ each) + the last trip Torino → Bologna (10€). Does that actually mean that you have to book reservations in advance? This far in my trip I have, but I haven’t been checked in all the reservation required-trains this far and was wondering if it really is necessary to pay for the reservations to get to go on the trains?

If you have any suggestions on how to make this journey easier without losing too much time or money please don’t hesitate to write! Any constructive feedback would be really appreciated. I still have about a week before that particular journey so I hope I am able to get some input before then.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 21 June 2022, 01:27

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I realize this is a more than a 12 hour trip, but I have no problem with that. What I am concerned about is the 5 min change in Chambery Challes Les Eaux, is that even possible? Does you guys know if those trains leave from the same platform or how I could find that out beforehand?

According to SNCF it's possible. Connection times are part of the timetable. But it does seem to be a bit tight. Missing it would mean ~3 hour delay (at least for tomorrow - you didn't mention a date).

Platforms can be found in the SNCF app or via the SNCF website (but only ~20 minutes in advance).

Also: There are “Seat reservations required” on the trains crossing the borders (30-35€ each) + the last trip Torino → Bologna (10€). Does that actually mean that you have to book reservations in advance? This far in my trip I have, but I haven’t been checked in all the reservation required-trains this far and was wondering if it really is necessary to pay for the reservations to get to go on the trains?

Both TGVs and the Frecciarossa have mandatory reservations and that means they're required. If you're fine with the chance of having to pay ~100€ extra, being thrown off the train, or meeting the police, then by all means board without a reservation.

If you have any suggestions on how to make this journey easier without losing too much time or money please don’t hesitate to write! Any constructive feedback would be really appreciated. I still have about a week before that particular journey so I hope I am able to get some input before then.

If you only have a week, then don't wait to book those TGVs. They often sell out well in advance. They can be booked by phone via SNCF (press #85 for English, no booking fees, reservations are sent via e-mail).

The FR Torino - Bologna can be booked via ÖBB using these steps (do NOT use “Seat only”).