Changing train stations in Milan - enough transfer time?

Hi, we’re planning our first trip to Europe and I’m finally figuring out the train routes. We’re switching train stations in Milan for a Paris to Rome route. I read online that you need about an hour to move from one station to another and that it’s only a 25-minute walk or quick bus ride. But I had no idea how much time it takes to get off the train and back on another. Our first train gets into one station at 13:49 (1:49) and leaves from the other station at 15:15 (3:15). Will this be enough time? Thanks for any help.

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

This is suffcent time, if the two train stations are Milano Porta Garibaldi and Milano Centrale

This is suffcent time, if the two train stations are Milano Porta Garibaldi and Milano Centrale

They are. Thank you. I feel better now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You are travelling to Rome? Than it should be also no problem when the TGV is delayed, because there are Frecciarossa to Rome every 30-15 minutes. If you don’t chach the train that you have reserved, you have to change the reservation before entering the new train, you can do this at the Ticket Office in Milano P. Garibaldi or Milano Centrale and also in both stations there are Las Minute Kiosk of Trenitalia for changing tickets. 

You are travelling to Rome? Than it should be also no problem when the TGV is delayed, because there are Frecciarossa to Rome every 30-15 minutes. If you don’t chach the train that you have reserved, you have to change the reservation before entering the new train, you can do this at the Ticket Office in Milano P. Garibaldi or Milano Centrale and also in both stations there are Las Minute Kiosk of Trenitalia for changing tickets. 

That’s good to know! It’s all so overwhelming. thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

THE major prob in IT in general is not how long the busride would take, but GETting the tickets needed for that-often a real puzzle that may take you up to 30 mins.

THE major prob in IT in general is not how long the busride would take, but GETting the tickets needed for that-often a real puzzle that may take you up to 30 mins.

So what’s the best way to get from one train station to another in a timely manner?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I think for the metro you can use your credit card, but I’m not sure. Please search at the local Bus and Metro service in Milan “ATM” how it works to get ticket. Maybe you can also walk from one station to the other.