Skip to main content
Solved

Cologne Hbf to Cologne Messe Deutz

• 22 May 2024
  • 8 replies

Hi! I wanted to follow up on my previous topic but my reply can’t seem to get in.. I’m planning on getting on this trip from Florence to Utrecht Centraal with these details: (on 31 July 2024)

Firenze S.M.N - Milano Central (06:55-08:50) - reservation needed

-transit 20 mins

Milano Central - Bellinzona (09:10-10:46) - reservation needed

-transit 31 mins

Bellinzona - Basel Sbb (11:17-14:56) - reservation optional

-transit 17 mins

Basel Sbb - Koln Hbf (15:13-20:05) - reservation optional

-transit 16 mins

Koln Hbf - Koln Messe Deutz (20:21-20:22) - reservation??

-transit 28 mins

Koln Messe Deutz - Utrecht Centraal (20:50-23:25) - reservation needed

but I have 3 questions:

1. The Basel Sbb - Koln Hbf (15:13-20:05) train is available in RailEurope website (shows FREE after I input the interrail pass), but it does not show up in the Rail app planner yet, why is that? Should I just add the trip manually?
  1. I can’t seem to find the Koln Hbf - Koln Messe Deutz train in the Rail app planner, it does not show any result. Is this trip covered by the interrail? And I tried to look in the db website as well, but it only shows like this:

The trip is only 1 minute by train, and is actually walkable, but it would be nice if we could catch the train as you can see, we are a bit packed with the schedule.. and with the luggage as well

1. And do you think the transit times for all changes makes sense? Any help would be appreciatedd! :)

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As I said in my other post: there are great chances you get stuck in Cologne for the night. Be aware of that.

Rail Planner shows the train starting in Basel Bad Bf while it starts on the other side of the Rhine, at Basel SBB. Wait a couple of weeks and the timetable will be correct. You don’t need to log the train until the day itself.

There are trains every 1-2 min between both Cologne stations. Look on DB Navigator app which train you could take before arriving. It’s pointless to wait for the 20:21 train if you could get one 10 min earlier.

Another important point: there are engineering works in Duisburg (19th July - 2nd August). ICE trains to/from the Netherlands are diverted and don’t stop in Duisburg and Oberhausen. Your train will leave Cologne earlier or get cancelled. Wait a few weeks to know the final timetable. This is why reservations aren’t available yet. See:

I will repeat it: this journey is very risky. The Rhine valley line has frequent delays and it will be worse than usual this summer with the high-speed line closure.

Please rethink your itinerary and spend the last night in Cologne before buying tickets to the Netherlands the following morning (as I remember that your pass will be expired at that point).

Badge

I see.. with all the changing routes, which date do you think would be the best to wait out to finalize the plan? As if I wait too long i’m afraid the proceeding seats from Florence - Basel would be sold out as well..

I’m not entirely sure on what to do now (has been confused since weeks ago)

Badge

They mentioned “ICE to Amsterdam Centraal is cancelled on some days from Frankfurt Hbf”. Do you know if they will release on which dates it will be cancelled? Or it’s just gonna be on the day decision?

Badge

The reservation in the DB app is technically already available, but i’m really confused on the concept of this cancellation. 

How are we supposed to know which train will be driving if the tickets are already being sold..? Help :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

They will soon release the dates when the train is cancelled. I expect it to be every day honestly.

It doesn’t change anything that tickets are already on sale. Only the Flexpreis fares (valid all day) are on sale and not the regular advance tickets. DB will contact the buyers and the Zugbindung will be cancelled (aka they can take any train).

I’m not optimistic for your journey. Maybe someone else will share their advice.

You should either spend the last night in Milan or afterwards around Cologne.

EDIT: there are over 200 seats left on both the Frecciarossa to Milan and the EC towards Switzerland. These trains won’t sell out anytime soon.

Badge

Ah thank you! So I will probably wait a little longer first then, maybe I can try filling out a contact form / call the customer service in case they have an update..

and do you know if the Koln Hbf - Koln Messe Deutz train is covered by eurail? Maybe I can just ad the trip manually and hop on the quickest one that is readily available with the time I got there

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I'm not sure it'd be useful to contact anyone. Only DB knows what they're planning and even then they'll publish the times only once it's finally settled.

You don't need to add the journey manually. Search Hbf - Messe/Deutz and pick one. You should choose the correct one but nobody will check tickets in 1 min anyway.

Let's wait and see but it's likely your train is fully cancelled. You could go via Venlo but do you want to add extra hours on an already extremely long journey? You'll be exhausted.

If you must do this journey in a day I'd look at flights.

Badge

Thank you so muchh!

Will try and wait a bit longer to see… Which route is the venlo route again?