Solved

Connection time at Montpellier Sant Roc

• 27 March 2023
  • 6 replies

• Keeps calm and carries on
  • 10 replies

Hi,

We want to travel from Barcelona to Geneva on Thursday 29 June.

The suggested route is:

10.33 Barcelona to Montpellier Sant Roc arriving at 13:41.

13.53 Montpellier Sant Roc to Lyon Part Dieu arriving at 15:51.

16.38 Lyon Part Dieu arriving at Geneva at 18:35.

I am concerned because the connection time at Montpellier is only 12 minutes. We are a family of six on a five week trip, so will have a reasonable degree of luggage - probably four suitcases.

Is the connection time in Montpellier Sant Roc feasible?

If we miss the connection in Montpellier Sant Roc at 13:53 because the Barcelona train is late will we be allowed to get on the 14:51 (ie fact they transfer our reservations from the 13:53 to the 14:51)?

Would really appreciate any advice re: the above.

icon

Best answer by Al_G 27 March 2023, 05:03

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

That TGV seems to depart Montpelier at 13.57 so a few more minutes.

Searching the connection (for a sooner date) SNCF do list it as a valid connection. As this is the case if you were to miss it SNCF would be obliged to put you on the next departure, you would have to approach the station staff and look for assistance from them for this.

It is possible to make it, assuming the arrival isn’t delayed of course. It may require more urgency than you would like though.

The SNCF l’assistant app will give real time information including the platform number so you can be prepared before you arrive.

You may be better just to book the hour later departure and take the time to get something to eat at Montpelier though.

Thank you! This is very helpful.

We would prefer to try and make the connection so we will take our chances. Just wanted to know that there is a plan B in case the first train runs late.

Is it possible to find out the arriving platform / departing platform so I can be as prepared as possible for the connection?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thank you! This is very helpful.

We would prefer to try and make the connection so we will take our chances. Just wanted to know that there is a plan B in case the first train runs late.

Is it possible to find out the arriving platform / departing platform so I can be as prepared as possible for the connection?

As I said, the i’assistant SNCF app shows this in real time, the platform booked will show up once it is confirmed. I do not know that station well enough to say but as those trains follow each other on the same route it is possible they will both use the same platform.

Looking at the train running at the same times for any other day will give a good indicator as more often than not things run to the same pattern, alterations can always occur on the day so you should always refer to the station displays to confirm.

Thank you - that’s good to know. I didn’t realise the app would show the platform and I didn’t read the end of your post carefully enough. Sorry about that. (I haven’t been to Europe in over a decade and train travel for long journeys is not really a thing we do here in Australia. There is a lot of information to absorb!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Montpellier Saint Roch is not a big station. 6 tracks, if I remember correctly. It’s not the most practical station though, with quite narrow stairs, a few lifts and narrow entries/exits to get from the Platforms to the station building above where you can change platforms.

If all goes well, 12 minutes should be okay but it’s not much.

Whereas a lot of railways post the track where the train leaves from months in advance, the SNCF only does this 20 minutes in advance.

Whereas a lot of railways post the track where the train leaves from months in advance, the SNCF only does this 20 minutes in advance.

Well that adds to the excitement on the day! 😬

Thanks for letting me know.