Solved

Connections and ticket - a beginner

• 14 March 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi

I am planning my first Interrail adventure. My first journey is from Sweden to the very north of Germany and is with 5 connections, mostly with short  transfer. The risk of missing a connection is therefore present.

When I connect a journey to my Interrail pass (not bought or validated yet) will the ticket be valid for the all connections or do I get separate tickets for each part?

Regards
Robert

PS: I will be using the App, no paper.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 14 March 2022, 10:28

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Your Interrail pass is your ticket.

When you miss a connection, one of your options is to use the next connection that gets you to your destination; and this must be without any extra costs (EU regulation 1371/2007, article 16). With a mobile Interrail pass, you can just change your journey: delete the train(s) you missed and add new ones. If the new connection includes a train with mandatory reservation, then talk to railway staff. They should let you on it without extra costs, as long as there are seats available.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As for now the only country where REServ is mandatory on this 1st trip is SJ in your home SE. In summer (but not for now) the direct IC trains Köpenhamn-Hamburg must be reserved.

Also note-as SE/DK are without these things now, that IN DE the wearing of masks-and even a prescribed special type!-is mandatory. You will also still need to have the QR-code you have been vaccinated to stay in HTL or even enter most restrt. there.

As a broad rule delays on ICE trains In DE are very common, the more the later in the day and at the end of their often very long trips. In SE+DK it is not generally much of a problem.