Solved

costa Brava to Paris

• 15 June 2023
  • 5 replies

2 adults, 2 kids (11 yo and 14 yo )  going from Costa Brava Spain to Paris on July 3. the one country pass is so much less expensive I’m wondering if there is a way to take a taxi or short train trip to Perpignan and then switch to the fast train? Or any other suggestions? We want to take the fast train and might do first class since its the kids first train ride and could be fun. 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 16 June 2023, 00:14

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Take local Spanish Rodalies train to Cerbere and use One country France pass from there.

I assume you have also looked at prices for regular tickets from SNCF?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Keep in mind that with the Eurail Pass you need to add a seat reservation on high-speed trains : limited 10€ fare, then 20€.

I don't know where you'll start from but Cerbère is easily reachable via Maçanet-Massanes. Tickets have a fixed price and cannot sell out for that leg.

Without passes.

Then option 1 240-280€ total :

- TER Cerbère - Perpignan 10:26 - 11:03

- TER Perpignan - Nîmes Pont du Gard 11:10 - 14:01

- OUIGO Nîmes Pont du Gard - Marne la Vallée (Disneyland) 14:21 - 17:19

From there RER A to the city center, about 49 min and 5€ per person.

Option 2 282-314€ direct to the center :

- TER Cerbère - Perpignan 12:26 - 13:03

- OUIGO Perpignan - Paris Gare de Lyon 15:04 - 20:22

Option 2 would be the more relaxed one imho, I'd choose the 314€ option so you can take big suitcases with you at no extra cost (it's a low-cost high-speed train after all).

All prices from sncf-connect.com

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

1st class options are here. A 1st class pass would definitely be good value then. 4 passes for 402$ + 4 x 10€ seat reservation for the TGV

Option 1 :

- TER Cerbère - Perpignan 10:26 - 11:03

- TER Perpignan - Nîmes Pont du Gard 11:10 - 14:01

- TGV Nîmes Pont du Gard - Paris Gare de Lyon 15:15 - 18:12

Option 2 :

- TER Cerbère - Narbonne 12:26 - 13:55

- TER Narbonne - Montpellier-St-Roch 14:22 - 15:34

- TGV Montpellier-St-Roch - Paris Gare de Lyon 15:46 - 19:18

Option 3 :

- TER Cerbère - Montpellier-St-Roch 14:26 - 17:09

- TGV Montpellier-St-Roch - Paris Gare de Lyon 17:50 - 21:28

If you let us know your starting point, we'll help you reach the border. Fortunately there are multiple trains available. All TGVs from Perpignan are sold out so you'll have to go to Montpellier on a regional train first. From there there are multiple extra units :)

In any case do not wait long to book. You can book seat reservations here (less booking fee) : https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish

If I were you, I'd choose Option 3 with 1st class passes. 300 km/h for 3h will definitely be fun !

Do not hesitate for further questions.

Userlevel 2

Remind that Montpellier has 2 main stations: St-Roch in the city center and Sud-de-France at the high speed line. To travel between them you have to go by a tram and a bus. It can be easier to change trains in Nimes Pont-du-Gard. This option was not given to me by some rail planners (SNCF-connect...) so try multiple planners to find the best option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yup I've chosen Nîmes Pont du Gard in option 1 for that particular reason. In options 2 and 3 the connection takes place at St-Roch :)

I agree that planners aren't that clear about the 2 stations (must be said that Sud de France is very new).