Solved

Country of Issue Not Shown

Hi,

I’m trying to book reservations for some trains later in the weekend, and I cannot continue because the site only lists EU countries as countries of issue for documents, even though I have my country of residence and currency set to Canada. How do I change this, or can I just lie?

icon

Best answer by Angelo 11 October 2022, 07:12

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey,

you should enter the country that issued your ticket I think… if it was bought via Interrail then enter that (should be written on the info button what to choose, i think EURAIL or something like that)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi, non European have to use eurail.com.

Interrail.eu is only for europeans

Hi, non European have to use eurail.com.

Interrail.eu is only for europeans

I should note that I am on EURail, not Interrail

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Eurail.com can sell only for people outside Europe.

Eurail.com can sell only for people outside Europe.

So, I can only make reservations if I am physically outside Europe? I am Canadian, and I reside in Canada. I’m still not sure why this is not working.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Are these reservations that are only issued via post?

Are these reservations that are only issued via post?

These are E-Tickets.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Most reservations are best made elsewhere than on the Eurail website. Please read more about that below. 

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and train in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass and create the ticket (QR code), until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I think it’s clear that nobody here knows what your problem is.

Obviously eurail is meant for those outside Europe so it is certainly not set to reject anyone and if there was such an issue we’d have heard of it by now.

Maybe put up some screenshots (but cover any personal information) so we can see what you are having issues with.

I think it’s clear that nobody here knows what your problem is.

Obviously eurail is meant for those outside Europe so it is certainly not set to reject anyone and if there was such an issue we’d have heard of it by now.

Maybe put up some screenshots (but cover any personal information) so we can see what you are having issues with.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

What reservation are you trying to make?

What reservation are you trying to make?

Napoli Centale to Berlin Hbf, October 16 at 21:35, through Milano Centrale and Spiez.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

An Italian sleeper I assume is generating the additional personal information request.

I cannot replicate that (on interrail.eu, not eurail.com but they generally are mirrors of each other) it offers me the full list of countries.

I would suggest tying on a different device/browser but if you still can’t get it to co-operate then just enter anything in order to get the reservation, it really is not going to be an issue with all the other details matching.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Are you taking a Nighttrain between Napoli and Milano? Because austrian railways ÖBB can also book online Italian Reservations but not for italian nighttrains. As an alternative you could use the Nightjet service of Austrian Railways Rome-Munich (bookable via tickets.oebb.at and from Munich a ICE service to Berlin)

ÖBB can sell also the redervations for day trains EC Italy-Switzerland. Here a overview how it works to buy reservations via ÖBB.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes, in this very specific case its a matter of the specific train (notte) and the specific traincomp. (TrenIt.). BTW-IF you want it on a quiet day and you want the real sleeper, then it might be cheaper to buy an advance ticket for this trip via their site, vs a passday+normal prices supplmt.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yes, in this very specific case its a matter of the specific train (notte) and the specific traincomp. (TrenIt.). BTW-IF you want it on a quiet day and you want the real sleeper, then it might be cheaper to buy an advance ticket for this trip via their site, vs a passday+normal prices supplmt.

For the date shown, only the full fare is still available for a single sleeper.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Please also take into account that 25 minutes to change from Milano Porta Garibaldi to Milano Centrale is too short. The Eurail website is showing this but it is incorrect.

@Nanja the website (and the app) are showing connection times in Milan that are too short and that don’t seem to correspond with the MERITS data (which say 35 minutes is the minimum, please check e.g. DB and ÖBB planners). This needs to be corrected.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi rvdborgt, thanks for flagging. This issue has been raised before so we are looking into it. Once I know more, I will update both threads on this topic.