Crossing into Belgium amd France on intercity trains (not Eurostar)- uk passenger

• 13 July 2022
  • 3 replies

• Rail rookie
  • 1 reply

Hi

I hope someone can help me and that I have not totally messed up! 

I am travelling with my children through The Netherlands, Belgium and France for the next 10 days and the best routes without the need for reservations seem to be from (1) Amsterdam to Ypres via Antwerp and then (2) Ypres to Lille where I have managed to get a reservation to Paris. I have left it too late for the trains that need reservations! I have a global pass. 

My questions are-

— can I use these trains to cross the borders at Hazeldonk (into Belgium from The Netherlands on the IC9252) and at Tourcoing (into France from Belgium on the IC19722 )- what happens at these borders to passengers with UK passports? 

- if anyone has been though these borders on intercity trains can you give me an idea of what happens? 

Many thanks

TJF

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

3 replies

There are no passport checks at those borders (trains do not even stop there), so nothing will “happen”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That tiny small town in west_vlaanderen is in BE only known as IEPER.

Has hourly direct trains from Antwerpen-though often this train splits in Kortrijk-with portion going to POperinge-via Ieper and other to Lille-via Tourcoing, in FR. yes, this is of course also shown on the parts of train-also inside-on moving screens. You have about 15-18 mins in Antwerpen to change-have to go up from lowest floor-3 floors up-till highest-have some minutes to admire its architecture- the Railways cathedral, recently all spruced up.

LIlle has 2 stations-about 10 mins easy walk apart-along a giant shopping centre  Euralille. Trains from BE arr at old=Flandres, most TGV from new=Europe (also used by €*

Thank you so much for your helpful replies which have put me at ease!