Skip to main content
Solved

DB reservation cancelled, possibly due to SJ system upgrade

• 18 May 2024
  • 4 replies

Just had a notification from DB app to say my reservation on 16th Aug is ‘cancelled’. Looking at the itinerary is not helpful, but has some German that mentions SJ and I know they’re upgrading things. Can’t get the rest of the message. Anyone else had this?

Journey is 10.11 Koln Hbf > 14.14 Hamburg Hbf / 14.53 Hamburg Hbf > 19.50 Koebenhavn H

Anyway, when I log on to my account on the desktop it says

Outbound journey: Timetable change.

Due to timetable changes, information on your connection is no longer up to date. Please check the current travel options.

...and...

Connection no longer available

Use any train: You can now also use your ticket for other trains.

Alternative connection: Due to recent events, this connection is no longer available. Please find a new connection for your trip.

I’ve searched and the journey is still there (albeit arriving in Copenhagen 1 minute earlier). DOes that mean my reservations are still valid?? The seats I have are not available if I go through the booking again.

4 replies

Just had a notification from DB app to say my reservation on 16th Aug is ‘cancelled’.

If the notification does say that your reservation is cancelled then it is cancelled. 

If the notification does say something different and this is just your interpretation it's most likely not cancelled (see the general rules).

Looking at the itinerary is not helpful, but has some German that mentions SJ and I know they’re upgrading things. Can’t get the rest of the message. Anyone else had this?

You should include this message here even if it's in german. Otherwise it's impossible to know what is written in your concrete message.

Journey is 10.11 Koln Hbf > 14.14 Hamburg Hbf / 14.53 Hamburg Hbf > 19.50 Koebenhavn H

Anyway, when I log on to my account on the desktop it says

Outbound journey: Timetable change.

Due to timetable changes, information on your connection is no longer up to date. Please check the current travel options.

...and...

Connection no longer available

Use any train: You can now also use your ticket for other trains.

Normally this does mean that you did book a ticket. 

Are you a railpass holder and did book just a reservation or did you buy a ticket with DB, too? Makes a difference. 

Alternative connection: Due to recent events, this connection is no longer available. Please find a new connection for your trip.

I’ve searched and the journey is still there (albeit arriving in Copenhagen 1 minute earlier). DOes that mean my reservations are still valid?? The seats I have are not available if I go through the booking again.

General rules:

If the train number did change, the old reservation isn't valid any more. For german trains, you do often get a new reservation then one hour before departure.

If the train number didn't change, the reservation is still valid.

You do get a notification with every change of the timetable even if it's just a one minute difference. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

If the notification does say that your reservation is cancelled then it is cancelled. 

If the notification does say something different and this is just your interpretation it's most likely not cancelled (see the general rules).

That’s the weird thing. The app (on My Journeys section) says ‘Trip Cancelled’...

and clicking in to the journey shows the below.

On Original Itinerary it has the German message that I can’t click on to read the rest of…

But on the desktop the info is different:

Are you a railpass holder and did book just a reservation or did you buy a ticket with DB, too? Makes a difference. 

Yes, passholder with reservation.

General rules:

If the train number did change, the old reservation isn't valid any more. For german trains, you do often get a new reservation then one hour before departure.

You do get a notification with every change of the timetable even if it's just a one minute difference. 

Train numbers are exactly the same.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

DB is well known for sending scary email for any time table change. I had 4 of those in connection with my Interrail trip last month. All 4 said that my trip was cancelled. My reservation was Utrecht-Basel-Hamburg-Copenhagen-Gothenburg.

At the end all my reservations were valid and the change was that the train in Hamburg arrived 2 hours later and the train to Copenhagen arrived 45 minutes later.

As long as the train number is the same, your reservation will be valid. I double checked that at Reisezentrum in Hamburg. 

That’s the weird thing. The app (on My Journeys section) says ‘Trip Cancelled’...

and clicking in to the journey shows the below.

On Original Itinerary it has the German message that I can’t click on to read the rest of…

But on the desktop the info is different:

Yes, passholder with reservation.

General rules:

Train numbers are exactly the same.

As written before: If the train numbers didn't change the reservation is still valid.

Just if you are interested:

The information you can't click on has been just this: information. It did say: "Aufgrund einer Migration im Vertriebssystem der SJ (Schweden) können vom 16.-27. April 2024 keine Reservierungen für SJ-Züge (X2) für Reisen ab dem 4. Juni 2024 gebucht werden. Buchungen von und nach Schweden für Reisen ab dem 4. Juni 2024 sind wieder ab dem 27.04.2024 möglich." 

It did just inform travellers that DB could not book connecting trains to Sweden.