Solved

Desperately for Seat Reservation from London to Paris

• Keeps calm and carries on
  • 13 replies

Hi, our family of 3 need to travel from London to Paris on 6/12 and I have not been able to make seat reservation from both EURAIL nor b-EUROPE.com.  In EURAIL, I can’t find the available.  But I can find available time in b-EUROPE.com.  But when I enter the pass cover using the pass numbers in my global pass purchase confirmation email, it said my number is invalid.  Can someone helps me please!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 2 June 2022, 17:50

View original

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You need a pass cover number for the b-europe website (E + 8 digits), which is not automatically given for mobile passes. You can get one from customer service but they are very busy.

You can also book by phone via SNCF. Press #85 for English, no pass cover number needed, no booking fee, reservation is sent via email.

That does not make any sense if we use digital passes.  EURAIL makes it so difficult for us to use their passes.  This should have been said upfront when we buy the passes.

@rvdborgt, Thank You for your response!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

That does not make any sense if we use digital passes.  EURAIL makes it so difficult for us to use their passes.  This should have been said upfront when we buy the passes.

You are right of course, it is beyond stupid that the cover number some booking sites require is not automatically provided with mobile pass purchases.

It is only making additional work for the support staff having to manually supply these.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It's in fact a combination of Eurail's booking module that is not always working well and the individual operators making life hard of people who want to book.

As to 12 June: I only see one train Paris - London left with 3 available seats for pass holders: the 20:31 departure, arriving at 23:49. I also see it on the Eurail site (although it shows the departure at 19:56, adding the minimum check-in time).

If you want to book this train, don't hesitate. On Sundays, the trains fill up quickly.

@rvdborgt, the time table from the by phone via SNCF. is uk time, is that correct?  I need to confirm so I can convert to my time to try to make a call.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@rvdborgt, the time table from the by phone via SNCF. is uk time, is that correct?  I need to confirm so I can convert to my time to try to make a call.

All times are local. Departure time in London is UK time, arrival time in Paris is CEST. Don't convert, times are always displayed as the local time.

@rvdborgt, I’ll take whatever time it is now.  I really need to make sure we can go from London to Paris on June 12.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@rvdborgt, I’ll take whatever time it is now.  I really need to make sure we can go from London to Paris on June 12.

Ah, if you mean the operating times of the SNCF phone line: that's in France, so CEST.

@rvdborgt, I’m outside of UK area so if I need to call the customer service to make seat reservation, I need to know what is my time to best contact them.  Hope that make sense why I asked about the time table.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@rvdborgt, I’m outside of UK area so if I need to call the customer service to make seat reservation, I need to know what is my time to best contact them.  Hope that make sense why I asked about the time table.

Yes, I understood that now. It's now 18:25 in France and they're open until 20:00.

You should also be able to book via the Eurail website (2€ booking fee per person and train):

@rvdborgt, when I searched I did not see any available.  Would you be able to help me?

@rvdborgt, this is the number to call right?  00 33 1 84 94 3635

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@rvdborgt, when I searched I did not see any available.  Would you be able to help me?

Change the time or click on “later”.

@rvdborgt, I did both, but couldn’t find the time you see open on your screen, I changed to later, it’s popped the next day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@rvdborgt, I did both, but couldn’t find the time you see open on your screen, I changed to later, it’s popped the next day.

Hm… it looks like it is doing something wrong with the date. The times you see are the same ones that I see but the date then only changes at midnight and not at 17:00…

Click on later until the 19:56 (20:31) departure appears, then add it to your cart and check the contents of your cart, then what date does it show there?

(And the phone number is indeed +33 1 84 94 3635.)

@rvdborgt, Thank You.  I’ve tried both earlier/later and still not able to see the time you see.  I only see the $39 which only reserve ½ of the trip.

Thank You for the contact number!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It looks to me-and as you now suddenly state USD=$ that the time difference is probably automatically adjusted to your time. Somehow I recall there have been more such reports-initially leading to utmost confusion here. This seems mostly to apply to the app.

yes, very confusing!  Thank you for your prompt responses @mcadv and @Al_G 

OK, if I cannot reserve the seat, is there alternative way to get from London to Paris?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

OK, if I cannot reserve the seat, is there alternative way to get from London to Paris?

Flights from Paris airports to London airports, be aware which airports and airlines and check their rules before booking.

https://www.skyscanner.net/transport/flights/pari/lond/220612/?adults=1&adultsv2=1&cabinclass=economy&children=0&childrenv2=&currency=EUR&inboundaltsenabled=false&infants=0&outboundaltsenabled=true&preferdirects=true&ref=home&rtn=0

If you expand the search to other airports within reach of you by rail at both ends you may find cheaper flights, not sure it would be wort the extra time though.

There are several ways: There are two key ferry routes, there is a bus line, you may fly - but is this what you did mean? Because certainly you’ll have to pay if you’d like to opt for something else than the direct eurostar train. And it will take much longer, too (except for flights)...

Just as an example: bus is available for the 12th (at the moment) for 25 ₤ per person, but it will take nearly 9 hours. But it’s the same price as an eurostar reservation...

Of course you’re also able to buy normal tickets for the eurostar. That’s fast but much more expensive.

Thank You @Al_G and @Hektor !  Much appreciate your helps and suggestions!

I just want to keep you all posted!!!!  Guess what, I changed the Departure from London Bridge instead of London St Pancras, and I WAS ABLE to find an available time to reserve our seats from London St. Pancras to Paris Nord.  It’s late arriving to Paris ……. but it’s OK.