Solved

Deutsche Bahn Seat Reservation

• 26 March 2024
  • 9 replies

Hi everyone!

I am wanting to book a seat reservation on a Deutsche Bahn Amsterdam to Berlin on June 5th 2024. I want to save some money and do it directly through their wesbite. Orginally, when I searched the site, I was looking at tickets (that also included reservations) and they were available to purchase, but consdering I have a eurrail pass, I want to use that as my ticket and only purchase the seat reservation.
I later found that there is a separate seat reservation search engine, to which I put in my details and was met with the following:

As you can see, none of the trains are showing any price info or the option to proceed with a seat reservation. 

Does anyone know why this is the case? Especially when tickets (bundled with a seat reservation) are available for purchase on the same train?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 26 March 2024, 06:20

View original

9 replies

Update: I just searched Budapest to Munich on June 13th (a later date) and the seat reservation prices are all available. Is the Itercity (AMS → BER) not open for seat reservation yet? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

DB cannot book standalone mandatory reservations as far as I know. Book through ÖBB (it's even cheaper) : 3€ per person.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

DB cannot book standalone mandatory reservations as far as I know.

With DB it now works on some trains (e.g. Amsterdam-Frankfurt) but not on others (Amsterdam-Berlin). No idea why.

Hi @thibcabe 

Thanks for the advice!
I’m on their site now - do you happen to know if/where I can look at the specific seats? On other trainline websites I’ve seen that they allow you to pick the specific seats that you want.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can't select seats. The system will assign them, it always puts people together (seat numbering is weird though!).

If you're not happy with the selection you have 3 minutes to cancel the order (free of charge).

You can't select seats. The system will assign them, it always puts people together (seat numbering is weird though!).

If you're not happy with the selection you have 3 minutes to cancel the order (free of charge).

Thanks for the reply!

By the sounds of what you’re saying, after paying I’ll be able to immediately see the seats the system provided me?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes exactly. Actually I believe you can see the numbers before paying. Go to your basket and click on "more details". Here is how it looks on my phone :

Compare the assigned seats with the DB seat map.

Don't download the PDF though (as you can't refund the order afterwards, weird ÖBB rule).

Yes exactly. Actually I believe you can see the numbers before paying. Go to your basket and click on "more details". Here is how it looks on my phone :

Compare the assigned seats with the DB seat map.

Don't download the PDF though (as you can't refund the order afterwards, weird ÖBB rule).

Thanks so much! Will make sure to do this!! Much appreciated thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

My bad... looks like you can only see seat numbers before payment for ÖBB trains only.

Otherwise book seats and then click on the ticket. It should look like this :