Difference in results between the web timetable and mobile RailPlanner app?

• 5 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi everyone,

I've noticed that it happens quite often that the RailPlanner webversion shows way more results for a certain search request than the mobile RailPlanner App. 

To give a specific example of a trip that I am currently planning: If I search for trains from Innsbruck Hbf to Ljubljana on August 4th, I get 8 results in the webversion: https://bit.ly/3jLazaU

However, when I do the exact same search request in the app on my phone I only receive 1 result, which is the night train departing at 00:56. 

When I check this search request on other sources like trainline I receive the exact same results as in the webversion of the RailPlanner: https://bit.ly/3dKGBjv. This means the mobile app is missing many connections and since my ticket is stored on my phone and I can only save journeys in the app, it would be nice if the mobile app would be up-to-date with the webversion. I've already checked if I need to update the app in the App Store, but that's not the case so that is not what is causing this problem.

So my question is what is the reason the mobile app of the RailPlanner is not as complete as the webversion of the RailPlanner? And, if my assumption that the problem is with the app and not with my lack of understanding, is right, would it be possible to give the app an update to make sure that I and every other traveler can find the train they're looking for in the app?

Thanks in advance!

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The Planner of Interrail on Website or the App aren´t 100% accruate because the timetable changes actual pretty often and not all companies share the data or have a Open Plug for Apps :/

I recommend to use different Railplanners.
For example i use mostly the DB Navigator (of German Rail) or Scotty of Austrian Rail as these apps cover most European Countries. The Railplanner is just a tool for me to check if a train company is covered or not or a reservation is needed or not.

There are several ways from Innsbruck to Ljubljana
Option 1 from Innsbruck via Salzburg or Schwarzach-St.Veit  to Villach and connecting train to Ljubljana
Option 2 the direct Nighttrain pretty short night and need a reservation of 14€ for a seat as the train is till Villach Reservation compulsory :/
Option 3 via Munich or Rosenheim and catch there the through coaches from Frankfurt via Munich,Rosenheim, Salzburg, Villach (attention here the train splits be sure to be in the correct coach ) - Ljubljana. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14
Here a nice Route with EC163 and EC213 to Ljubljana you travel a scenicRoute via Kitzbuehl and Zell am See
Here with a bigger detour but pretty scenic via the “Karwendel Line” and Germisch Patenkrichen to Munich and catch there the direct coaches to Ljubljana.
Take in the first train seats on the left hand side ;)

Thanks for your help @seewulf !

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I came across the same problem for Zagreb - Innsbruck.

The app says I have only 1 train (and it needs reservations) but the website gives way more opportunities. I can’t check the Croatian site since it doesn’t give me international stations. 

So it is safe to assume I can take these trains? Should I better check all my connections somewhere else than the railplanner app? And how do I take these trains with my mobile pass if they don’t show up- do I put them in manually-?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I came across the same problem for Zagreb - Innsbruck.

The app says I have only 1 train (and it needs reservations) but the website gives way more opportunities. I can’t check the Croatian site since it doesn’t give me international stations. 

So it is safe to assume I can take these trains? Should I better check all my connections somewhere else than the railplanner app? And how do I take these trains with my mobile pass if they don’t show up- do I put them in manually-?

@SVdV 
I recommend to use local railplanners or atleast the apps “Scotty” from Austrian rail or DB Navigator from German Rail as these cover most European trains but even not all :)
There is an option on the Mobile Pass to add a not listed train :) So no problem if a train doesn´t showed in the Railplanner :)

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

The DB Navigator Shows the same trains as the Interrail site 😁. I'll double check my trains there, thanks.

I just find the Railplanner app friendlier to use, so it would be easy if everything was included there 😢. I'll start researching how to properly manually add trains then haha.