Solved

Differing train schedules

• 16 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Hallo! I have the Interrail app on my phone and on my iPad. And I accessed the rail planner at interrail.eu. I searched for trains from Oslo S to Stockholm Central on June 8. Result: one set of train schedules on my phone and at interrail.eu, another on my iPad. Phone and iPad are online, as is my MacBook. My iPad Planner shows a train at 10:10 and one at 14:10, both of which require one change of trains. My phone and the internet say I can either leave Oslo at 7:24 (4 changes!) or at 14:36 (3 changes). Has anyone had this problem? Can anyone explain to me what is going on? Thanks

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 16 January 2023, 21:55

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

1. Never rely on the Rail Planner App. It only updates once a month and is often wrong.

2. Perhaps you have an older version on your iPad?

3. Check real times and schedules via the local companies. For this route: www.sj.se/en/. A good alternative is the planner of Deutsche Bahn, it has the up to date times for most of Europe. Even google maps is more trustable than the rail planner app from Eurail/ Interrail for train times! 

Two direct options for your route:

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

The interrail apps have off-line timetables that get updated with the app updates. Unfortunately, they aren't always very accurate. Particularly when looking this far ahead (when not all trains might have been loaded).

Best to check with the railway operators of your route before leaving. In your case, checking on sj.se yields two direct trains for that day - though they can't be booked yet and more will likely be added later on. Generally booking horizons of trains go between 2 to 4 months, looking now for June is a bit early.

If you want an indication of what trains will run, what I do is look at a similar day but sooner. Timetables don't generally change much.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The time table is best checked at sj.se but reservations for that train cant be made yet. SJ has only released reservations until the 12th of March. SJ shows 2 trains, both without any changes, but with a long travel time. The time table for Sweden is not yet finalized for the summer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hallo! I have the Interrail app on my phone and on my iPad. And I accessed the rail planner at interrail.eu. I searched for trains from Oslo S to Stockholm Central on June 8. Result: one set of train schedules on my phone and at interrail.eu, another on my iPad. Phone and iPad are online, as is my MacBook.

Neither the rail planner app nor the Interrail website is reliable because neither one is updated frequently enough. Please don't use them to plan.

Thanks to all for the informative replies. I realize that schedule information in Jan for June can be non-existent, incomplete or not yet fixed. Since the connection I am looking for includes a required seat reservation, I just hope that when I make the reservation, whether through interrail or a national rail office, I will also be able to find the connection in the rail planner.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I just hope that when I make the reservation, whether through interrail or a national rail office, I will also be able to find the connection in the rail planner.

The connection should be available at least just before boarding the train. If the train isn’t available at that time you need to add the journey manually.