Solved

Do I need to book a seat reservation for a "ready to board" train to be guaranteed a seat

• 2 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I am departing from Rome Termini to Rome Airport Fiumicino on 4 November. 

I purchased the Eurail 1st class pass for all my travels previously.

I will like to check do I need to purchase a ticket to be guarantee a seat? I tried to purchase a ticket but most trains show “You're ready to board”. I am just concern that I may not be able to board the train on the actual day.

If there is no tickets require to purchase, may I also check what do I show to enter the train platform?

What do I show to the train person when he/she checks?

Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 4 November 2022, 12:38

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You already have a ticket, your pass, so you don't need to buy one.

Reservations for the Leonardo express are not possible. Just board and find a free seat.

If you have a mobile pass, check this page:

https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes/eurail-mobile-pass/getting-started

If you have a paper pass, look here:

https://www.eurail.com/en/get-inspired/everything-you-need-know-about-eurail/how-use-your-eurail-pass

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Again: trains are not planes. There are multiple doors and stops and noone checks before-except for a very few gated stations (in IT you then have to find a manned gate and show activated pass). IF you cannot find an empty seat-or are too shy to summon someone to clear her luggages from a seat-then you stand-likely till next stop.

All in all very much same-same as f.e. the KTMB komuter in KUL.

NOTE that the direct treni between the 2 are Express _ I dk what extra is needed for these-you can also take the ´free´ treni normale, ev 15 or 30 mins, these do not serve termini but many other stops inside Roma. The fare for these is far, far lower as a passday would cost-if you start from Roma and not come from another citta. Lah.

@93wenwen 

Roma Fiumicino

Rome Termini and Tiburtina/Ostiense

Regional train to Tiburtina/Ostiense every 15 minutes.

Leonardo Express Train to Termini every 30 minutes. Only customers with 1st class Eurail Passes can travel on this train, for free without a reservation. Customers with a 2nd class Eurail Pass have to buy a ticket.

Roma Fiumicino

Rome / Venice / Napoli / Florence / Bologna

Le Frecce high-speed trains to and from several cities in Italy. Both customers with a 1st or 2nd class Pass can travel on this trains. Reservations are mandatory.

Airport Train Station Links | Eurail.com