Solved

Do i need to book an S-train ticket?

• 28 October 2022
  • 2 replies

Me and my girlfriend are going from Sweden to Italy, with one train change in Münich, Germany. There we need to take an S-train from Münich HBF to Ost, which should be included in our Interrail cards. My question is: do I need to book a seating ticket for this train, or can we just hop on the train with our interrailcards, without any other tickets?

icon

Best answer by Angelo 28 October 2022, 18:09

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi,

S-Bahn (or S-train) train is not possible to reserve a seat, it is a suburban train. Just add the train on the app to get the QR-Code and hop on. 

Your Ticket is the Interrail Pass. The other “tickets” are called seat reservations. 

Local trains like regional trains or s-bahn can’t be reserved. 

Long distance trains in Germany, Austria, Czech Republic or Switzerland have only optional reservation, check via the website of the train company if the train will be full, and book if you want a seat. (if cost less if you do it via the national carrier, ÖBB and CD can book almost all optional reservation trains). 

In Italy High Speed trains Frecciarossa and IC* have compulsory reservation. You can book easily via Austrian Railways ÖBB (One way Ticket - Interrail as discount) for 10€ (FR) or 3€ (IC).

Eurocity Munich-Italy has only a optional reservation, but you need to pay a 10€ fee to use the train in Italy. If you book the fee via interrail.eu/app (12€) or CD.cz (~10€) you get the reservation for free on top. 

*there is a discussion if it is or not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The S-bahn runs as an underground metro between these 2-and even at about a train ev 2 mins-it would be fully impossible to implement RES and have people wait till their allocated train in such a case. ALL 7 S-bahn lines in M run this sector, as it passes under the real centre of town