Solved

E-Ticket for Seat Reservation

I have a booking on EC64 from Budapest to Munich on December 6th. I am trying to make a seat reservation on the EuRail site which seems to go OK until I attempt to Checkout and I receive an ERROR, there is no explanation except it seems to want to mail me the seat reservation rather than an e-Ticket. As we will be traveling there is no place to actually send the ticket I must have an e-ticket. When I start to make the reservation it shows an e-ticket but for some reason when I go to checkout it wants to send me a paper ticket.

Any ideas, or is there any way around this? I know I don’t need the reservation on this particular train but for peace of mind would like to have one.

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 25 October 2022, 10:13

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

What is the departure time from Budapest? I can't find EC 64 from Budapest.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Just book this train on tickets.oebb.at (use “Seat only”). It's cheaper (only 3€) and you'll have the reservation via e-mail.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

What is the departure time from Budapest? I can't find EC 64 from Budapest.

I suppose this is for RJX 64. Eurail (website and app) misrepresent RJX as EC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The departure time for the train seems to have changed. The Railplanner says 11.55 and bahn.com says 11.40.

You better make your reservation at bahn.com instead of at the Interrail/Eurail website. bahn.com is cheaper and will send you an e-ticket. 

Thanks, here is my current booking from the Eurail app. I’ll try booking the seat on Bahn.de. As a non European I find the complexities a bit daunting and more than a tad confusing….🙄

The departure time for the train seems to have changed. The Railplanner says 11.55 and bahn.com says 11.40.

You better make your reservation at bahn.com instead of at the Interrail/Eurail website. bahn.com is cheaper and will send you an e-ticket. 

Thanks Anna I was able to book seats on Bahn.de.. It seems to be still showing a departure of 11:55 on both Eurrail and Bahn.de. I’ll make sure we are there early.  Thanks for everything.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

YOur last remark is very widely shared among about all consumer-clubs and general public, not the least among those striving to replace airtravel by eco-friendly on rails.

And the final remark: as such you do not even need to RES-its optional. As such it is indeed often better/easier/cheaper to go via the national sites, this EUrail is only a 2nd layer behind that.

RailJet (do not confuse with NightJet) is a special type of trainset from OeBB (Austria rail) that is quite good and comfy, some cars are set aside as ´silent´ another as family’with kids-playground. INTERNational trains of higher standard are often still labelled as EuroCity (as InterCity) and can also consist of other traintypes.

Dep: the train starts at Keleti (=east), and after some 10-12 mins later stops at Kelenföld, a new suburban station in Bp, both have metro+tram links a plenty. Hence perhaps the difference in timing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The app works offline and gets the updates via app update only sometimes, no live data. It can happen that the data is not true. Best practice is to check the website of the train company.

In your case Budapest Keleti-Hegyeshalom Border (Hungarian Railways: MAV Start), Hegyeshalom Border -Salzburg HBF (Austrian Railways ÖBB) and Salzburg Hbf -Munich Hbf (Main Station) (German Railways DB). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There are at least 2 train stations in Budapest. The train leaves Budapest-Keleti ät 11.40 and Budapest-Kelenföld at 11.55, hence my confusion.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I really appreciate it.