Solved

EuroCity from Berlin to Prague

Hi guys. I'm currently planning my trip in August and I'm looking for the right train between Berlin and Prague. I found that the two cities are connected by EuroCity trains, but no reservation is required on the app, even though I read that seat reservations on EuroCity are compulsory. Is that alright or is it a bug of the RailPlanner app? 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 1 May 2023, 12:29

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No seat reservations are required for this train but I'd still recommend as it is a busy mainline. Use tickets.oebb.at. It works in many countries and does not have a booking fee. 3€ per train or FREE with a 1st class pass. Add Interrail/Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets.

It doesn't work by type of trains but by operators or countries. Reservations are optional in Germany, Austria, Czechia, Hungary or the UK. Not possible in Belgium or the Netherlands. And they're a complete waste of money in Switzerland (nobody makes them).

For example EC trains require reservations in Italy but not in Switzerland so you can totally board one in Zurich to Lugano but the same train between Milan and Venice needs a 10€ seat reservation.

Thank you very much!