Solved

Euronight Train from Bucharest to Budapest in Nov 2022

• 5 September 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi I am keen to travel from Istanbul to Amsterdam in early Nov 2022 and I want to take Bucharest to Budapest EuroNight on 9th  or 10th Nov. I am searching for the train but cant find it at this site or any other?

Does this connection still exist? Is there any alternative by train?

Pls advise.

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 16 September 2022, 13:29

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes, there will be trains but I guess you are-like so many over-anxious advance planners, still too early for final data. The bigger prob probably will be to get in those iron monsters on rails out of IST-the direct couchette ar to Buch will cease from late this month-which means many more changes or perhaps even no train at all-thats still unclear-and will likely also depend on how covid comes back-or not.

You also did not state clearly if you are on a pass or use normal tickets.In any case: its a golden rule that the railway the trip starts on is the very best to check first; in this case romanian-cfr.ro. Not the best known for user-friendly or long advance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Depending on the date, there are 2 or 3 night trains between Budapest and Bucharest. They should all be included in the DB and ÖBB planners. Do not use the rail planner app or Interrail website to plan. They're not reliable.

Thanks so much for the prompt responses. Truly appreciate it.

Let me share my travel plans in details. I am traveling from Istanbul to Amsterdam and I am aware that Bosphorus Express with direct service between Istanbul and Bucharest stops running in November. SO intend to take Sofia Express from IST to Dimitrovgrad, Bulgaria and then take local trains with changes to Bucharest, hoping to make connection on the same day on Bucharest to Budapest Night Train.

Then travel from budapest thru Vienna, Frankfurt to Amsterdam reaching in the evening.

Plan B is If by chance, this does not work then I might take a flight from IST to Bucharest and then catch the night train.

Thats the travel plan.

What I want is to catch the night train from Bucharest to Budapest the same day and to make sure that I get a couchette (4) OR sleeper berth. Hence the confirmation of availability of such train, I am looking for.

Pls advise and let me know if I can answer any questions about my travel plans.

Looking forward to your advice..

It’s possible, but no fun to do.

You’d arrive in Dimitrovgrad at 4.17 in the morning and had to wait until 6am. 

In theory, it’s possible to be in Bucuresti at 5pm and to catch a connecting night train to Budapest at 5.45pm - in practice it’s more likely that it won’t work than that it will work.

There’s an other night train to Budapest at 9.55pm that has just a couchette car. 

Hello, in this case I would recommend checking directly with the carrier and their website.