Solved

Eurostar ticket but no seat reservation

• 12 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of trouble with booking my trips for my first interrailing experience. I want to take the Eurostar from Rotterdam to London, but apparently all tickets are sold out (even though on the Eurostar website tickets are still available).

I did manage to 'save’ this journey on the app and I have a QR-code which says: All set! Show yout ticket during inspection. 

Can I travel on this ticket without having a seat reservation?

icon

Best answer by Angelo 12 October 2022, 18:41

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi, no you can't.

Reservations are not linked with the Pass.

You habe only add the trip to the Pass and have a Ticket. But without Reservation you will not get on the train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Use https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass? to search for passholder availability, which as you have seen is less than that for regular tickets.

If no direct services from Netherlands can be found, search for Brussels or Lille departures which are more frequent and use NS/SNCB trains to connect.

Pass cover number to book from b-europe website:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Eerder omgekeerd: niemand zal veel interesse hebben in je pas, maar zonder geldige RES kom je de statie niet eens op.

Toeslag voor pass: 30€ vanaf BRU/BE, en iets van 35/36 vanaf NL. Book je online via b-rail/b-europe (dat is gewoon de belgische spoorwegen), dan betaal je nog 4€ extra/kosten maar kan je wel slim en snel zien vanaf wanneer er plek is, ALS je nou nog wat slimmer was geweest en gemeld voor wanneer, dan hadden de jongs hierboven je al voorgelicht

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to never create the QR code in advance and also not to activate the pass before the first travel day. Please read more about that below. 

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and train in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass and create the ticket (QR code), until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.