Solved

Extra fee for using the Brenner-pass

• 21 June 2021
  • 8 replies

Hello,

while travelling from Munich to Bologna I was asked to pay 10 euros extra for using the Brenner-Pass. I wasn't expecting this, because i used the Reservation tool and thought I had done everything correctly... Did I make a mistake there? And how can I be sure, that I have paid every necessary reservation and fee.

Thank you for your advice :)

icon

Best answer by Mattheas 21 June 2021, 11:45

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

You didn't make a mistake, it's because you crossed the Italian-Austrian border that you need to pay a supplement (on top of the reservation fee itself). It's also the only connection with this system that I can think of. 

You can check in the Eurail Rail Planner app whether you need a reservation. Often you can user slower intercity or regional trains, which don't require a reservation fee. Check the box “Avoid Reservation Fees” to see if there are convenient connections for you. In Italy only on high-speed trains and night trains reservations are compulsory. Germany doesn't have compulsory reservations.

If you have more questions, or perhaps about specific routes, feel free to ask!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello,

while travelling from Munich to Bologna I was asked to pay 10 euros extra for using the Brenner-Pass. I wasn't expecting this, because i used the Reservation tool and thought I had done everything correctly... Did I make a mistake there? And how can I be sure, that I have paid every necessary reservation and fee.

Yeah thats correct 🙂 It´s because that the Italian Part of the Journey is operated by a private company that is not part of Interrail because of that you will be charged 10€ for 2nd Class or 15€ in 1st class when traveling on the Italian Part of the connection

Informations about these Surcharge only in German or Italian

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello,

Yeah thats correct 🙂 It´s because that the Italian Part of the Journey is operated by a private company that is not part of Interrail because of that you will be charged 10€ for 2nd Class or 15€ in 1st class when traveling on the Italian Part of the connection

Who's the formal operator these days in Italy? DB says it's DB Fernverkehr, also in Italy… if it's Trennord though, they do accept Interrail but because of Trenitalia's involvement in Trennord that can't go without a supplement of course.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello,

Who's the formal operator these days in Italy? DB says it's DB Fernverkehr, also in Italy… if it's Trennord though, they do accept Interrail but because of Trenitalia's involvement in Trennord that can't go without a supplement of course.

They changed it quite often in the last years :) But actual they should be back by TrenNord and as you say in case of Trenitalia Division they need a supplement.

Site note if you pay the surcharge at a Italian or Austrian Ticketoffice they give a seat reservation on top for free for this train :)

The Surcharge of 10€/15€ applies for the Daytime Eurocity´s and Railjets via Tarvisio or Brennero the new Eurocity Trieste - Ljubljana - Vienna doesn´t need a surcharge.

Can anybody tell me where I can buy this special toll ticket ?

Freek

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Can anybody tell me where I can buy this special toll ticket ?

Freek

On the train, or at every counter of DB, ÖBB or Trenitalia. It costs 10€ in 2nd class and 15€ in 1st class. 

Do we still need to pay the fee if we split the trip in Brennero/Brenner and take a regional to there (I’m starting at Bolzano/Bozen)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Do we still need to pay the fee if we split the trip in Brennero/Brenner and take a regional to there (I’m starting at Bolzano/Bozen)?

No, from Brennero shouldn’t be needed as it is the border station… only if you would use it from Bolzano, then you’d have to pay the 10 euro AFAIK.