Flying v Eurostar

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

As a resident of the UK I appreciate an Interrail Global pass allows one day usage from the UK and one back. However as we live in the north that would entail an early start to London and then an afternoon Eurostar to Paris/Brussels. Although theoretically a further jump on an evening TGV or ICE could be achieved, that is not appealing. So we plan to utilise “cheap” flights to connect with continental rail points. It seems somewhat expensive with Eurostar and TGV booking fees.

With a 10 day in 2 months first class pass we plan to split it into 2 trips.

One flying to Catania, a couple of nights in Syracuse, train to Salerno, next day to Bologna for 2 nights, then through alps to Nuremberg for a few nights then back via Brussels.

The second, 4 weeks later, is planned as flight to Nice for 2 nights in Monaco/Beausoleil, across to Venice for 2 nights, through the Alps to Vienna for a couple of days. Then on to Prague for a couple of nights before a flight home.

Are these realistic itineraries?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can check with a planner if this is realistic, e.g. with the DB planner.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You can check with a planner if this is realistic, e.g. with the DB planner.

Thanks for your reply.

Many apologies for not making my question clear. I have no issues with the actual trains (yet). They all seem reasonable timings and booking fees, with plenty of fall backs (in most cases). 

My actual concern is, as we are no longer spring chickens, are these the sorts of itineraries that allow a good balance between travelling (4 - 8 hours at a time and stays allowing enough time to see the cities. Most of our hotels are within 10 mins of the local station.

OOI, Our original “plans” involved trying to travel as far as possible on each of the pass days, but sanity seems to have prevailed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are works=replacement BUS on the It-AT route for a few weeks coming up this summer.

IF you can manage it-the pass is still valid for 2 traveldays in GB-also to air- or seaports.

You may be able to do it in 7 tr-days IF you pay the very short rides airport-hotel AND if you use the yellow RegioJet train Wien-Prahy-maybe a refreshing change-and a good discount due to age and very affordable comfort=ex 1st cl.