Solved

France reservations - TGV *upper deck*

• 24 June 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

Does anyone know if the French TGV E10 ‘cheap’ reservations automatically put you into the lower deck, keeping the upper deck (and nice views 🙂 ) for full-fare passengers (and maybe E20 Interrail reservations) ? Is there any way to specify which seats you want? Or can you just cancel a reservation before paying, and try again and see if it gives you an upper deck seat? Thanks!

icon

Best answer by mcadv 25 June 2022, 12:19

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No, AFAIK its purely random- (well, with the usual rules that nearly all railways use-to prevent only having sold all window seats and non @ aisle)-I think IF you are so determined at that you have to go in person to a FR counter. And by far not all TGV  are DoSto=double deck (thats the german abbreviation)

Plenty of DoSto also in DE=Germany even on quite scenic routes and Swiss, eve locals without any chance to REServe

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Does anyone know if the French TGV E10 ‘cheap’ reservations automatically put you into the lower deck, keeping the upper deck (and nice views 🙂 ) for full-fare passengers (and maybe E20 Interrail reservations) ? Is there any way to specify which seats you want? Or can you just cancel a reservation before paying, and try again and see if it gives you an upper deck seat? Thanks!

If you travel 1st class with SNCF, you can choose your seat yourself. So the question is do you have a 1st class interrail pass?

Badge

No, AFAIK its purely random- (well, with the usual rules that nearly all railways use-to prevent only having sold all window seats and non @ aisle)-I think IF you are so determined at that you have to go in person to a FR counter. And by far not all TGV  are DoSto=double deck (thats the german abbreviation)

Plenty of DoSto also in DE=Germany even on quite scenic routes and Swiss, eve locals without any chance to REServe

Interestingly I have now booked a double-deck TGV on a 10-Euro reservation, and it has given me an upper deck ticket! Fingers crossed for the second one, when reservations become available :-o