Solved

Frecciarossa trains only available till 18 September for reservations

• 19 July 2022
  • 6 replies

I am a solo traveler from South Africa. Since I don't care for sharing tables and seat arrangements with strangers I bought a 1st class Eurail pass. All works fine for booking seat reservations with EC and ÖBB trains. But unfortunately the bulk of my travel is in Italy and I was hoping to book Frecciarossa seats between Venice, Florance, Rome and Napels. Unfortunately none of these trains are being listed post 18 September 2022 on either Eurail app or ÖBB sites. I was informed it best to make Frecciarossa seat reservation via ÖBB. But nothing yet available. Although you can buy tickets and seats on TrenItalia and many other sites that does not support Eurail. It is such a dissspointment to see prime seats on selected 1st class journeys dissapear 1 by 1 as I am unable to make any seat reservation post 18 September. My travel dates for these journeys are 29 Sept, 1 October, 6 October. Seems like I will have to just bear and grin while sharing seat arrangements with total strangers. A situation that I tried to avoid. Thanks Eurail for spoiling a journey of a lifetime!

icon

Best answer by Angelo 19 July 2022, 23:26

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Angelo Do you know anything about these reservations?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I replied alraedy to this user in another post.

Just a general information. It is not possible via ÖBB or Eurail.com to select the seat on a seat plan. You get automaticly a seat from the system, you can not choose that you want a airline style seat, this means no one vis a vis or next to you.

Trenitalia can sell you a seat that you want, for Eurail pass user only at a ticket desk of Trenitalia in Italy or France. Maybe other rail companies can sell specific seats.

Also what you can try is to call Trenitalia Call center:

from Trenitalia.com:

Contact our call center for the following services:

Option 1 - Purchases and Bills
 Option 2 - Reservation Changes and Refunds
 Option 3 - Information
 Option 4 - Help with CartaFreccia and Trenitalia.com.

If you are abroad and want to contact our call center, you can use the following number: +39 06 68475475, which is staffed every day from 7:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.  From 00:00 to 06:59 you can leave a message on the mailbox.  A member of staff will contact you from 07:00 the next day.

So the moral of the story is NEVER NEVER NEVER buy a Eurail pass if you are not from Europe. What a shamefull situation!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Normaly, people take the first seat they get and not a specific seat. 

Thanks for all the replies. But I am stuck with a 10 day 1st class Eurail pass and unable to make any seat reservations on Frecciarossa. Should have rather only bought a 4 day pass for the OBB and EC trains that you can actually book in advance and buy Frecciarossa tickets direct from TrenItalia. So we learn. What a disappointment Eurail. 😞 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You have plenty of time to book reservations. Keep calm and drink tee. The timetable should get updated soon on all other European timetable searchers. The last one that will get updated is the Rail Planner app, because it works offline.