Solved

Getting from Basel, Switzerland to Paris

• 2 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi, I’m new to using the Eurail and am planning a trip across Europe. Last week when looking at train times from Basel, Switzerland to Paris on June 17 I noticed some train options that took less than 6 hours to get back to Paris. Today, when I went to make a reservation I found that the same reservation will take over 15 hours. Is the timing too early to look at this or did seats book up that fast? Seems like with an Eurail pass it would be easier to make these reservations but now I’m not so sure.

Sincerely,

Brock

icon

Best answer by Hektor 2 February 2024, 06:56

View original

2 replies

The timetable for direct trains is just confirmed until May 22nd yet. So you need to wait for timetable and the possibility to book. The direct trains just take 3 hours.

If you try your planned connection here https://www.sncf-connect.com/en-en/ you'll get an Email notification when it's possible to book.

Recommendation: If you go by TER to Mulhouse (or Strasbourg depending on time of the day) and do change there to a TGV to Paris the journey is just a little bit slower but the reservation fee is much less then the very expensive one from Basel (possible for 10 € if early instead of 29 € 2nd or 39 € 1st class).

Hello and thank you for your response Hector. I will wait and check again next month but it is frustrating waiting and hoping the tables will update to make my connections back to Paris. I will also check the routes you mention.