Solved

Getting on a train without reservation (on a train where it's not required, but recommended)

• 30 July 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi, I'm trying to get on a train from Basel to Amsterdam on Aug 1 around 3PM. 

If the train is fully reserved and I don't happen to find a seat, will I be allowed to stand in the train while waiting for someone to get off in the coming stops? I read that in some review but just wanted to make sure.

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 30 July 2022, 18:41

View original

4 replies

Badge +5

Yes you can do this in Germany! Many trains show where seats are reserved to and from so it’s quite easy to find free seats. However for such a long journey why give yourself the stress for just a few euros! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

A quick check on oebb.com shows there are still seats available for 3 euro on tomorrows service. Easily booked as seat only and sent by e-mail for printing.

Cheers

Thank you so much. I was hoping to get on the direct train from Basel, but just used the obb website and got myself confirmed seat tickets. I appreciate your help so much. 🙏🏾

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Expect delays and even the train not even able to reach Basel and start back from there-but as there are at least ICE ev HOUR on alll along that line, you will find some space @ some time. BIG probs as for now-last week and coming weeks, on all ICE DE-NL