Solved

Getting out country of residence / booking problems

• 10 August 2022
  • 7 replies

Dear All,

I have a Global Interrail Pass, Poland is my country of residence and I am trying to book a seat on a Warsaw-Berlin train, PKP Intercity does not allow making that reservation online (it would for a domestic connection, but not international), so I tried to use the Interrail booking system. It does not seem to work: the reservation prices don't show the places are supposedly/possibly sold out, but that doesn't seem true, because sometimes prices do show, on the very same trains. But even then I can't do the booking, because the only option the system knows is to send it to me via paper mail, and when I fill in the address, I am told it is too late and it wouldn't reach me on time. Is this really the only option? Can't I just have the reservation sent in printable electronic form?
icon

Best answer by AnnaB 10 August 2022, 10:24

View original

7 replies

I've had many issues with the reservation system. If this were me i would book my seat for the last polish destination and just stay on till Berlin. 

This or go to your station and try to get them to sort it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There are some reservations that Interrail only can send as paper reservations so you can't get an e-reservation for this route from them. 

Have you tried to call PKP or asked at a Polish railway station?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here is the answer to your question. 

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/krakow-to-berlin-in-4-weeks-are-the-intercity-trains-full-7069?postid=31953#post31953

Thanks a lot for the information & advice! Sad but reassuring to know that it’s really not possible, not just some misunderstanding on my part. I have called PKP Intercity and it really looks like I have to go to a station and do the booking there.

(Booking for the last Polish destination and staying on till Berlin - ah well, sounds tempting, but then again I feel a bit too old to spend an hour watching out for conductors — they don’t sell seats aboard those trains, either you have one or you’re out (and probably fined)).

One additional question, though (or should I make it a separate thread for clarity’s sake?): if I go to a ticket office and try to book a reservation, they will want to see my ticket, i.e. the Interrail Pass. will they actually issue a seat reservation if I just show them my Interrail Pass in the mobile app? Is there some crucial bit of information they need? (I’m far from any Intercity office now, so I’d rather not drive in vain).

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Last week a read something on another forum: the german bookingsystem and polish bookingsystem don’t connect in easy way together. May be if you only try to reserve to or from Frankfurt/Oder-Poland by phone DB and/or PKP? Frankfurt/Oder-Berlin reservation is not mandatory. Perhaps it’s worth a try? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The latter is nonsense. In YOUR case-there is just 1 way: step on your bike or on the tramvay and go to a real pracovnik PKP and have it done for you. The main reason is that OVER border cost 6€ and to Rzepin only 1-2 PLN. Somehow you have to pay that difference.

At the end of rip you have to do same-same in DE-or if you know now already all routes-can also do same time whilst in the station