Solved

Global Pass First Class Italy Trains

• 16 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi there,

I am travelling from Germany to Austria and then from Austria to Italy. I already know about the Brenner and Tarvisio supplements but I have this problem: I tried to book on the ÖBB site and it looks like the supplement to cross to Italy is only 10 euros. For a first class seat reservation on the EC85, for example, you need to pay extra 5 euros. My question is this: Do I have to make reservations for a first class seat on each train (or high speed trains) in Italy even though I already have a 1st class Global Pass? 

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 16 July 2023, 15:36

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can travel in 2nd class with your 1st class pass if you have a 2nd class reservation, but if you want to travel in 1st class, you need a 1st class reservation. In Italy reservations are mandatory for FR and IC trains.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The supplement is 10€ in 2nd class and 15€ in 1st class. With a 1st class pass you can get free seat reservations in Germany, Austria, Czechia, Hungary,… through tickets.oebb.at : add Interrail/Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets.

Seat reservations are mandatory on these Italian trains and cost the same in 1st or 2nd class :

• 13€ Frecciarossa
  • 3€ IC trains

They’re best bought on OBB (no booking fee). Follow the above procedure

Availability the day before is generally not a problem as trains run often and there’s no quota for passholders either. However keep in mind that July-August is peak season.

Thanks for your quick responses. 

The supplement from Austria to Italy is 10 euros. Under the extras, however, you can add 5 euros for a 1st class ticket. (ÖBB) Since you travel in Austria, you don't need to make 1st class reservations because a 1st class Global Pass already covers that. So technically I don't think I am obligated to buy the 1st class extra only because the train will finally reach Italy. Yes, it’s only 5 euros but if it’s like this, I don’t think having a 1st class Global Pass gives you anything while traveling in Italy.. you get ripped off by the reservations...or you have to take millions of slower trains for a 5 hour distance...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The supplement costs 15€ in 1st class with a valid 1st class pass. ÖBB doesn't know which class you'll travel on at first so that's why 10€ is the first price shown.

You choose 1st class for the better seats and frankly the less crowded trains. You also get food delivered at your seat but you do have to pay for it in most cases. A 1st class pass is not a rip-off at all : the difference between 1st and 2nd class tickets is always much greater !

It is not unusual for 1st class reservations to be a little more expensive but as said it is not the case in Italy and you get free seat reservations in the countries mentioned above.

You'll have to pay the 13€ reservation cost on Frecciarossa trains whether you travel in 1st or 2nd class.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Please note that in the train in the screenshot, there are no seats left in 1st class.