Going across France during strikes late March 2023

• 28 March 2023
  • 8 replies

Hi everyone. Does anyone have any experience of going across France by train these last few days, or knowledge of what to expect? Seems like things are quite dicey, but at the same time no formal cancellations? At the moment, my plan is to go from Dieppe on the 5:21 (Thursday 30 March 2023), to Paris and then make it to Zürich eventually that day using TERs.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Paris could be a bit hot but it seems that the protests are slowing a bit. Then the major problem would be cancellations yes. Train cancellations appear the day before at 17:00 on sncf.com

If you check for tomorrow, here is what I can see :

• TER Dieppe - Rouen Rive Droite 05:21 - 06:05
  • TER Rouen Rive Droite - Paris St-Lazare 06:13 - 07:39 mandatory seat reservation 1,50€ → buy it on SNCF ticket machines tomorrow if possible or in Dieppe early on Thursday

Both trains run. RER and metros across Paris should almost run as usual.

• TER Paris-Est - Belfort 13:42 - 17:52 cancelled
  • TER Paris-Bercy - Avallon - Dijon 12:33 - 15:29
  • TER Paris-Bercy - Dijon 13:35 - 16:27
  • and then via Besançon - Chaux-de-Fonds or Besançon - Belfort - Mulhouse - Basel ?

Or do you have a seat reservation for a TGV leaving Paris ? I didn’t quite understand

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you in Dieppe currently? Or planning to arrive there from UK?

If the latter, I’d consider a ferry to Belgium and onward through Belgium instead of France. It takes a lot of uncertainty out of the equation

in previous strikes you could be reasonably sure of timetables the night before, but not this time.

Ah, thanks for the detail! No TGV reservation. That Paris to Belfort train is usually the key when I've done this before, so ideally that'll run on Thursday. Helpful to know about the seat reservation on the train from Rouen, as I haven't done this previously. I'll arrive on the night boat from Newhaven to Dieppe in the morning, so hopefully this will be possible when I arrive. All good fun this, ey!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes it seems like a convenient connection that I might take one day !

At least if you see tomorrow at 17:00 that it is cancelled, there are many TGVs still at 10€ to Dijon or Strasbourg

Those reservations are looking quite tempting now! Another ferry via Belgium could be lovely, too, but I've booked this Newhaven one now and it's so delightfully cheap. 

I shall sleep on the TGV decision, and message with how things go. Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes don’t worry, I’m sure your trip will be great !

Wait for the decisive moment at 17:00 and then book a TGV if needed :)

Good night

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Are you in Dieppe currently? Or planning to arrive there from UK?

If the latter, I’d consider a ferry to Belgium and onward through Belgium instead of France. It takes a lot of uncertainty out of the equation

in previous strikes you could be reasonably sure of timetables the night before, but not this time.

There is no ferry connection (open for passengers) between Belgium and the UK. The only alternatives by ship are located quite far in France (like Dieppe) or Nl (Hoek van Holland/IJmuiden).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I had a look and the Paris - Belfort TER will run. Yay !!!

You could then safely leave Dieppe an hour later if wanted or spend a little while in Rouen. Remember to book the 1,50€ reservation.

1h to wait in Belfort (18:06 TER to Mulhouse cancelled) but you should be fine otherwise.

And you should be in Zurich at 21:28.

Let us know how your trip goes, very interested :)