Solved

Gotthard Express

• 18 February 2023
  • 7 replies

When I use my Eurail Pass to book Lugano-Lucerne how do I know which services are “Gotthard Express” ? Or do all the trains on this route have some scenic carriages and by simply paying reservation fee I automatically book one of those seats ?

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 18 February 2023, 11:24

View original

7 replies

The Gotthard Panorama Express is just running once a day and has a supplement. Only this one has panoramic coaches and a tourstic program.

There are trains every hour without supplement going the same route.

The fast IC or EC trains are using a tunnel that is 57 km long, so it's fast but in the dark.

Thank you Hektor. I cannot find any reference to it on the Eurail  bookings “ journey “ section so I’m at a loss to know how to book it using my Eurail pass.

Thank you Hektor. I cannot find any reference to it on the Eurail  bookings “ journey “ section so I’m at a loss to know how to book it using my Eurail pass.

What time of year / which day are you going and do you want to go especially by the panoramic tourist train mentioned or just taking the route?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello,

There is only one branded Gotthard-Panorama-Express train (with the big windows) per day leaving Lugano at 09:18 AM. It runs between Tuesday and Sunday (incl. holidays) from 15th April.

As you surely know the train journey is between Lugano and Flüelen and then you take a boat across Lake Lucerne. Seat reservation for this train is mandatory and there are only first class coaches ! The fee seems to be 16 CHF but Interrail/Eurail passengers should contact SBB at sales-gopex@sbb.ch per the GPE website. Interrail itself warns about a 73 CHF surcharge for the first class coaches if you hold a second-class pass. It is surely because the boat across the lake isn't covered by Interrail/Eurail passes, you only get a 50% discount (so it may be more than 16 CHF).

But there are hourly trains running along the same route too without reservations needed ! They travel between Locarno, Bellinzona and Luzern, Basel or Zurich on the other side of the Alps. The train is quite new with big windows too (Treno Gottardo).

There is only one more change needed and you have much more flexibility : to Bellinzona, either the S90 taking the old route or all other trains through the Ceneri Tunnel (15 km) and then the Treno Gottardo.

In Flüelen you can change and take the boat but as I said earlier you only have a 50% discount on the lake.

Let me know if you've got any other questions.

The Gotthard Panorama Express is running from April 15th to October 22nd. It's not running on mondays. Leaves Lugano at 9.18. It has a supplement of 16 CHF that includes seat reservation. But it is 1st class only.

Think of this as guided tour, not just as train trip. To get a tourist experience with additional information, that's the way to go. Also if you'd like to take photos. It's a much better experience than taking a normal train. 

Going to Luzern, most people will take the boat from Flüelen. With your pass, you'd have to pay for this, but you'd get a 50 % reduction. It's 25,50 CHF 2nd class or 39,50 CHF 1st class additional. It's also possible to stay onboard the train going to Luzern with a change at Arth-Goldau.

If you'd like to take this special train, it's possible to book supplement and reservation (for the ship just needed if you'd like to eat) online. 

For the normal trains, you need to change at least at Bellinzona. Tell the planner you'd like to go via Airolo. Reservation not needed for this one.

Thank you folks for your patient replies. So it seems that if I want to book the Gotthard Express ( and ferry) I’ll have to do it on the trip’s website and not on the Eurail site ( which offers little information )

Thank you folks for your patient replies. So it seems that if I want to book the Gotthard Express ( and ferry) I’ll have to do it on the trip’s website and not on the Eurail site ( which offers little information )

Gotthard Panorama Express on the trip's website, boat ticket recommended with the ship company (choose Halbtax as reduction) or onboard the ship when boarding, restaurant reservation for lunch (if needed) with the ship company.