Solved

Greece travelling Patras to Athens

Hi,

We are traveling on July 4th from Patras to Athens. I’ve been using the app, but I can’t see any trains to add to my pass for our trip in Greece (we’re coming from Italy, already travelled from Paris)  Does anyone know how I can book travel with Eurail through Greece? Can I use the app?  Do I need to manually put in a travel day? (not sure how to do that?) 

Any help, guidance - would be very appreciated.

icon

Best answer by mcadv 2 July 2022, 12:37

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are NO trains all the way. There are-of course, buses. Reason: there used to be narrow gauge all around this peninsula-this was closed a few yrs ago with the intention to rebuild to normal gauge. But this is GR where such plans never go str8. So by now they have managed to rebuild only halfway-and from there its a coordinated BUS. Do not waste a travelday on this-local fares are much lower (assuming you stay a few days in ATh likely?)

Most ferries to P also now dock quite far out of town=for the cars so youll also struggle to reach the ´station´-most have a coordinated direct bus-at inflated price to Ath. 

In case you plan to travel further on by train; GR has NO trains at all over the border and is in fact for the average tourist useless for passes.

Hi!.

Bus from Patras (Patra) to Kiato and from Kiato you can take a train to Athens.
There are no trains between Kiato and Patras due to construction works at the moment.

You can find the timetable on the website of  https://www.hellenictrain.gr/

The bus is also covered by Interrail.

Have a nice trip!

Hi!.

Bus from Patras (Patra) to Kiato and from Kiato you can take a train to Athens.
There are no trains between Kiato and Patras due to construction works at the moment.

You can find the timetable on the website of  https://www.hellenictrain.gr/

The bus is also covered by Interrail.

Have a nice trip!

Hi! I want to do the same trip, but the other way around: from Athens to Patras. You say that the bus is covered by your Interrail pass, but when I plan the journey in the app, it says a seat reservation is required. I have made reservations through the app before, but I cannot click on this one. Do you know by any chance why that is and what I should do about it?

Thank you!

Myrthe

Hi Myrthe!.

The time you are in Athens, you have to go to

Stathmos Larisis Central Train Station

to make your reservation for your trip
(free of charge),

mostly to secure the bus seat from Kiato to Patras.

Surely they will answer all your questions there.

Enjoy your trip!

Hi Myrthe!.

The time you are in Athens, you have to go to

Stathmos Larisis Central Train Station

to make your reservation for your trip
(free of charge),

mostly to secure the bus seat from Kiato to Patras.

Surely they will answer all your questions there.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for your quick reply!! Alright, the only thing is, I will arrive in Athens at 20:30 and have to leave the next morning at 7:35. So will the office even be open then?

Their time schedule says that the ticket office is open 05:00-23:00.

Hopefully you will have no issues!.

Their time schedule says that the ticket office is open 05:00-23:00.

Hopefully you will have no issues!.

Thank you so much!! I think we will be alright then :)