Solved

Help with train reservations?

• 20 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello.  Total new person here so I apologize for asking questions.  I’ve done some searching and thought I had this all under control.  But I’m struggling!

I am looking to make seat reservations only on a train from Salzburg to Luzern.   We have purchased a First Class Eurail pass and I was able to do seat reservations on the German Rail Website for our previous legs in Germany.   But I am struggling with the Austrian Rail website.    Can anyone assist with how I make a seat only reservation?   I’m looking at October and it looks like I could make one for some of the trains that have multiple changes but the ones with only one change in Zurich are all not available?  Also not seeing where you select the class you prefer.   Honestly don't care about the class but would like a seat reservation.   Is it possible that all those seats are booked already for the one change trains?

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 20 June 2023, 21:30

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I suppose this is Salzburg to Zurich direct and then one or more trains in Switzerland?

Then just book Salzburg-Zurich. In Switzerland you don't need any reservations; and many trains cannot be booked to begin with.

In 1st class, reservations via ÖBB are free of charge (also in Germany and some other countries): go to tickets.oebb.at, add the Interrail/Eurail discount and choose "One-way tickets” (NOT "Seat reservation only”). In the next screen, check the reservations and the 1st class checkbox.

If that doesn't work, could you then please give the exact date and departure time?

Thank you!   I was able to do it with your instructions.    I was trying under the reservations only.  

Now perhaps you can double check my work on a train from Prague to Munich on Sept. 28.   It looks like reservations are not available at all for any direct trains and even the first leg with the ones with connections.   Is it possible they are all sold out?  I’m guessing yes since it’s Oktoberfest.   Is it worthwhile to keep checking?  Any other options?  Will be stuck standing for five hours, LOL?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This one works like a long-distance regional train and is not bookable per ALEX (train’s operator), however there’s a possibility : book a seat (through OBB) up to the last stop in Czechia, Domazlice. This is possible. But I don’t expect that train to be very full in 1st class anyway.

Reservations are never possible on regional trains too.

(And don’t worry, trains never sell out months in advance, except maybe the Eurostar on a few specific dates)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Prague to Munich can only be booked from 1 month in advance.

On tickets.oebb.at it currently only works until Domazlice (last station in Czechia), for a test date in the beginning of next month, free of charge of course. On cd.cz (around €3 per seat, "Reservation only”) reservation currently seems to works until Schwandorf.

In any case, you'll have to wait until the end of August to book this train. If reservation then still doesn't work for the whole route, I'd just book free seats Prague to Domazlice via ÖBB. In Germany, it runs as a regional train and nobody makes reservations, so you'll be fine. In addition, most Oktoberfest crowd will be in 2nd class :)

Fantastic. Thank you.   So very helpful.