Solved

High costs - reservation Paris -Barcelona

I booked a Global Interail pass for myself and another for my child to go from Paris to the south of Spain and return. I had done many simulations and saw that the return journey from the country of departure to the country of destination was included in the pass. But as soon as I want to book to go from Paris to Barcelona, I am asked to pay 34 euros per passenger ( or 68 euros extra. Please confirm if the first Paris-Barcelona ticket is included or not.

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 2 May 2022, 21:21

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The ticket is included but you need to buy a seat reservation. The fee for the seat reservation can be quite high.

As you have the Global Pass you have one outbound and one inbound travel day in France if you are a resident of France.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The best place to buy this reservation is directly from SNCF, so you avoid Interrail's booking fee (2€ per person and train) and postage fee (9€ per order, since they issue this reservation on paper only). SNCF sell this reservation at their ticket offices and via phone (with delivery via email).

There are also ways to save money: TGV to Perpignan (reservation 10 or 20€, also from SNCF), TER to Cerbère or Portbou and then a Spanish regional train to Barcelona (no reservation).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

OR-to also avoid the often very cumbersome REServaciones in ESpana-and full trenes- it may simply be better if this is the only intended trip to see if its true what your SNCF now advertises on about any busshelter: for 49€ to Barca, and then book yourself via the cumbersome RENFE site onward.