Solved

Highspeed Trains in August

• 10 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Family of 4 - just purchased 10 day / 2 month passes 1st class. After considerable time trying to understand how to use app have just attempted to book a high speed train from Paris - Venice or Verona on Aug. 16 though nothing appears available - even in the surrounding days . I have looked via various rail sites/apps also. Is extremely frustrating . My question is , are these high speed trains yet to be schedule released - or are they actually sold out. And if they are sold out - will I assume the alternate trains  (slower / 9 hours ) which can’t have seats reserved will be extremely busy so can’t guarantee a seat? Appreciate advice. Thanks 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 11 June 2023, 01:01

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

They are not sold out. The full Italian summer timetable hasn't been published yet for around 16th August due to some engineering works. Don't worry, trains will still run.

On regional trains seat reservations are not possible for anyone so it works in a first come, first served basis.

For trains with optional reservations, it might be a good idea to book in summer as seats do not cost much or are even free : avoid Eurail and use ÖBB (see later)

However don't worry 1st class is almost always very empty ! Keep in mind that most Italian regional trains do not offer 1st class. But in all other countries there are 1st class seats :)

For trains within Italy (and in some other countries), it's best to book with tickets.oebb.at (no booking fee) : add Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets. Official prices :

- 13€ Frecciarossa

- 3€ IC trains

ÖBB also offers free seat reservations for 1st class passholders in Germany, Austria, Hungary, Czechia and some other countries !

Booking fees quickly add up through eurail.com (2€ per person per train) so it's best to avoid that website for reservations.

Seat reservations and the app/pass are completely separate so it doesn't matter where you make them. Whenever asked you show both the app (pass) and the PDF (seat reservation).

Do not hesitate for questions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Unfortunately the direct TGVs into Italy and Switzerland have a very high seat reservation fee for both 1st and 2nd class passholders : 45€ for the former and 70€ for the latter…

You understand that it's best to avoid them and only use TGVs as far as the border. Domestic journeys only cost 10€ in both classes (limited fare, then 20€).

I'd recommend either going via Bellegarde/Geneva or Mulhouse/Strasbourg. Both have good scenery so it's difficult to choose…

As an example :

- TGV Paris Gare de Lyon - Bellegarde 08:18 - 11:00 10€

- TER Bellegarde - Geneva 11:07 - 11:35

- IR90 Geneva - Brig 12:10 - 14:33

- EC Brig - Milano Centrale 14:44 - 16:40 13€

- FR Milano Centrale - Venezia Mestre 17:15 - 19:28 13€

- RE Venezia Mestre - Venezia S. Lucia 19:40 - 19:50

OR even better

- TGV Paris-Est - Strasbourg 07:58 - 09:59 10€

- TER Strasbourg - Basel SBB 10:21 - 11:38

- IR26 Basel SBB - Lucerne 12:03 - 13:05

- 1h stop there for example (not needed, you could continue directly and arrive 1h earlier)

- IC21 Lucerne - Lugano 14:18 - 15:58

- RE Lugano - Milano Centrale 16:02 - 17:17

- FR Milano Centrale - Verona Porta Nuova 17:40 - 18:58 (20:50 in Venice) 13€

I used the current timetables, I pretty much expect the same on 16th August.

Verona would mean a shorter journey so I'd recommend that. Or if you've got enough time I'd consider staying in Chur for one night and the next day taking the stunning Bernina Railway into Italy !

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Seat reservations are very expensive on TGV cross-border routes, esp. in 1st class : 45€ to Italy and 70€ to Switzerland. I'd recommend to avoid it by taking a TGV to the Swiss border (only 10€) and then taking a regional train to cross it. 3 routes mainly : via Bellegarde, Mulhouse or Strasbourg.

Here would be a good example :

- TGV Paris-Est - Strasbourg 07:58 - 09:59 10€

- TER Strasbourg - Basel SBB 10:21 - 11:38

- IC21 Basel SBB - Lugano 13:03 - 15:58 (or you leave Basel an hour earlier and have the break in Lucerne instead). Don't worry about the tight connection, it is guaranteed.

- RE Lugano - Milano Centrale 16:02 - 17:17

- FR Milano Centrale - Verona Porta Nuova 17:40 - 18:58 13€ (or a reservation-free regional train, 35 min longer)

I'd recommend staying in Verona to shorten the already long journey. If you have enough time, why not stay in Chur for one night and the next day take the stunning Bernina Railway ? My favourite railway of Switzerland frankly. Let me know for suggestions.

Thank you . I thought that being the day after the Ferragosto public holiday they were all sold out so this is a relief.  Any idea when could expect to see the schedules for this time released? Appreciated. 🙏🏻

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It's true that it'll be a busy week but don't worry, trains never sell out so long in advance.

The timetable is now on trenitalia.com as far as I could see so I expect it in a few days (or 1-2 weeks) on tickets.oebb.at and later on eurail.com/Rail Planner. Trains run like usual.

Rail Planner isn't that reliable so better use the companies websites or bahn.com (although the latter one hasn't been updated either).