Solved

How can I book a day trip from Paris to Mont St Michel with my eurail pass

• 8 April 2023
  • 6 replies

I would like to book a day trip from Paris to Mont St Michel (leaving 7.32am, getting back to Paris at 10.16pm or thereabouts to have time to explore) but I’m not have any luck trying to do this using my eurail pass.  We (2 of us) can only do this on 9th, 10th or 11th of May, is it possible to book seat reservations, or are we too late and nothing available as I don’t seem to be able to make seat reservations.  I haven’t booked anything with my pass yet and this will be our first trip and I’m now wondering if the eural pass is going to be the best option for us.  Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can provide for us newbies.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 8 April 2023, 04:41

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

These trains cannot be booked online. Reservation is possible at a French ticket office or ticket machine. Just do it when you get to France. Price is €1.50 per seat and they're unlikely to be full on a weekday so long in advance. Booking 1 day in advance will be fine.

I arrive in France on 8 May and will go to ticket office that day. We are from NZ and hope to go to Mont St Michel on 11th for a day trip. Is it possible to book tickets with my email pass if I ring someone? Or do you still think this is enough time to still be able to get a ticket when we arrive. I don't understand ... is 1.50 the fare? Seems way too cheap?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I arrive in France on 8 May and will go to ticket office that day. We are from NZ and hope to go to Mont St Michel on 11th for a day trip. Is it possible to book tickets with my email pass if I ring someone? Or do you still think this is enough time to still be able to get a ticket when we arrive. I don't understand ... is 1.50 the fare? Seems way too cheap?

€1.50 is the reservation fee when you have a Eurail (or Interrail) pass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Does it work like any other NOMAD trains ?

SNCF hasn't got much information about the reservation (it doesn't mention Interrail/Eurail passes at all) : https://www.sncf-connect.com/fr-ch/article/le-train-du-mont-saint-michel-82724

I'm asking because the special train to Pontorson doesn't appear on bahn.de or any other planner (as far as I could see).

(Otherwise it'd be 54€ return and you don't use a pass day)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Does it work like any other NOMAD trains ?

SNCF hasn't got much information about the reservation (it doesn't mention Interrail/Eurail passes at all) : https://www.sncf-connect.com/fr-ch/article/le-train-du-mont-saint-michel-82724

I'm asking because the special train to Pontorson doesn't appear on bahn.de or any other planner (as far as I could see).

(Otherwise it'd be 54€ return and you don't use a pass day)

Maybe this page just isn't up to date? It's 2 years old. DB for example give a departure at 7:32 and a connecting bus at Villedieu-les-Poêles. Return in the evening also with a bus to that station. Total travel time is shorter than on the above web page.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You're perfectly right as always :)

I mistakenly looked at connections to Pontorson-St-Michel but this train doesn't run to Pontorson anymore, the connection indeed now happens in Villedieu-les-Poëles. I can see it too on SBB app.

Then the 1,50€ seat reservation applies.

You'd think SNCF would create another page or something, well...

Thanks for the answer :)

EDIT : I've emailed Mark Smith (seat61) so he can add the info to his website