Solved

How can I book a train that is not on eurail app?

• 10 October 2023
  • 13 replies

hi everyone. I am trying to book a direct train ride from TGV Lyria - Dijon to Lausanne but the train is not showing on Eurail app. I have entered it manually, but how do I find out if the train is available and how do I book it?

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 10 October 2023, 21:10

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Are you looking for a train on or after 10th December ? Timetables past the European-wide timetable change have not been uploaded on Rail Planner or eurail.com yet.

It should be online in the coming days. Otherwise contact SNCF by phone : https://www.sncf-voyageurs.com/en/customer-service/contact-us/telephone/

Please note that this cross-border TGV is very expensive : 29€ mandatory reservation in 2nd class, 39€ in 1st. If that’s your only journey of the day check how much a regular ticket costs, it may be better value to save the pass day for something else !

There are also reservation-free or cheaper alternatives but they would take quite longer.

Thank you for your response. I am trynig to book it for november 2nd and since I am from Brazil and will be visiting friends, I would like to take advantage of the high speed train. I got the 7 day eurail global pass, but this particular train ride does not show up on the app, but it shows on the TGV Lyria website. It would be the 9269 train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes sure I understand. It will be a TGV but actually it won't run on high-speed tracks (only between Paris and Dijon).

If the train doesn't appear on eurail.com in a week or two you'll likely have to call SNCF (or buy the reservation when you arrive in France).

Since the reservation costs 29€ (+ 2€ fee) and a regular ticket 49€ you could save the pass day for a day trip in Switzerland (as tickets are quite expensive).

Thank you very much. This train ride would save an hour because it is a direct route between dijon and lausanne, but i will book the 3 hour train since i understand by your message that this train is not part of the global pass, correct? And I would have to buy it anyways...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No, it is covered by Eurail (sorry for the misunderstanding!) but the seat reservation fee on top of the pass is expensive (29€) compared to the price of a ticket (49€) in my opinion. The seat reservation for the journey to Frasne (within France) only costs 10€ for example. But then it takes an hour longer via Neuchâtel (scenic journey though!)...

Ok! I will book the scenic drive than! Thank you so much for your help!!! I do have another question, though… How can I book the reservation seats? Is it a separate thing or can I do it through the eurail website/app??

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Either through eurail.com or through the railway companies whenever possible (usually no extra fee). Eurail adds 2€ booking fee per person per train and optional reservations are more expensive. More info :

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

For the Dijon - Frasne journey either :

Do not hesitate to come back for further questions mentioning route and travel date, we’ll gladly help.

Last thing : reservations are totally separate from the app so it doesn’t matter where you make them. Whenever asked on the train you’ll have to show both the app (QR-code, your ticket) and the PDF (seat reservation).

Thank you so much! I am just curious about one thing: if I decide to go for the 2h ride from dijon to lausanne, where can i book the seat reservations, since it is a route that it is not available on the eurail website/app? Where did you foind the info about the price for the reservation seats on that particular train ride? 

And one more question: I was trying to book a train from Seville to the Madrid Airport, but I can only find trains from Sevilla to Madrid ATocha. Is there a code or a differebt name for airport stations? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thank you so much! I am just curious about one thing: if I decide to go for the 2h ride from dijon to lausanne, where can i book the seat reservations, since it is a route that it is not available on the eurail website/app? Where did you foind the info about the price for the reservation seats on that particular train ride? 

It should be possible through eurail.com (only website, not app) or by calling SNCF. Since I don't have a pass right now I cannot check if it's there. Anyway don't worry too much it's very unlikely that this train sells out.

Prices are listed on the above links and I'm starting to know them by heart haha...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

And one more question: I was trying to book a train from Seville to the Madrid Airport, but I can only find trains from Sevilla to Madrid ATocha. Is there a code or a differebt name for airport stations? 

As far as I know there is no high-speed railway station at Madrid Airport. You'll have to change to a Cercanias commuter train at Madrid-Atocha : lines C1 and C10 (30 min journey, every 15 min). Seat reservations not possible onboard those trains, they work like a subway.

Cercanias may not be on Rail Planner because the company doesn't share its timetable with the European-wide database (don't ask me why they don't). Rest assured, there are loads of trains and your pass is valid ! The QR-code will likely not work at ticket barriers so you'll have to ask staff to open them for you (there is always someone around).

Unfortunately Spain is a bit of a pain with Interrail...

thank you very very much!!! It was very helpful. I have decided to book all the reserved seats in France when I arrive. It will be easier, I think. Thank you again for all your help!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You're welcome. Booking should be possible at all SNCF ticket machines. Follow the process and at some point and you can choose the Eurail fare.

Some high-speed trains could sell out a few days in advance, especially around weekends but as long as you're flexible there are always slower reservation-free TER regional trains in case.

Enjoy your trip ! :)