Solved

How do I book seat reservation Spain?

• 11 July 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi!

I am travelling to Spain in late August with Interrail pass. I have looked into a few other threads where I have found the number +34 912 320 320 to call for booking seat reservations since I doesn’t seem possible to book seat reservations for trains i Spain over the internet. I live in Sweden and am arriving in Figueres Vilafant about 1-2 hours before the first train I aim to book in Spain.

I have called several times trying to book seat reservations. First time they said it was too early and that I had to call back when there was 3 months left until my trip. Second time they said it was something wrong with their system but that they would mail me a link which I had to click on to approve the booking, or something like that. Unfortunately i never got the mail. Now that I tried calling for the third time they say that I can’t book seat reservations until 3 days before my trip, but that I can buy tickets now to the train if I want(however then that is not linked to my Interrail pass). 

I find this so confusing and I am worried that i won’t get tickets to the trains in Spain, which then would affect the rest of my trip since I am travelling back through France, Belgium etc.(which I have already got seat reservations for).

Can someone please tell me how and when I can make seat reservations for my trip in Spain?

icon

Best answer by Angelo 11 July 2022, 17:37

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

How to get Reservations :) | Community (eurail.com) here is the tutorial how to get resevations for Spain by @rvdborgt 

Reservations for Spanish domestic trains

Booking reservations for Spanish domestic trains is not possible online. You can buy them:

• At a Spanish ticket office
  • Possibly at Lisboa Santa Apolónia (They're reported to have a Spanish system there. Please let me know if you can confirm.)
  • At a Deutsche Bahn ticket office. You need to provide the train number.
  • Via Deutsche Bahn by phone (+49 30 2970 or directly to the English line +49 30 311682904). Collect at a DB ticket machine or receive via post (€5.90 per order). You need to provide the train number.
  • Via a Swiss ticket office or by phone (scroll down to Switzerland). Unknown if reservations can be sent via e-mail. Send me a message if you find out.
  • Via RENFE by phone, with limitations, see this page (scroll down to Spain). Reservation must be collected in Spain.

The good thing is that these reservations are not quota-controlled, so you can book seats until the train is full.
Train numbers can be looked up via www.raileurope.com or in the DB planner (if RENFE have sent their data), but not too long in advance, since RENFE don't always publish their timetables a long time in advance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Now that I tried calling for the third time they say that I can’t book seat reservations until 3 days before my trip, but that I can buy tickets now to the train if I want(however then that is not linked to my Interrail pass). 

Your reservations will always be separate from your Interrail pass, no matter where you make the reservations.

It is not that you can’t make the reservation until 3 days before your trip. It is that your reservation has to be collected within 72 hours (3 days) after that you have made the reservation. So you can make the reservation 3 days before you have the possibility to collect the tickets in Spain.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

PLUS that there is a very simple-easier too ALternative: do not waste all the time to go to that far out of town VF-estacion, use the local Catalunya Expres/Rodalies-ev hour, direct to BCN with also mores stops in Town.

As Fig VF is the very last stop for all hi-speed trenes ending in BCn they only do RES for the open seats a few days advance-people who go on those trains tend to come from much further in FR. This is of course different for the trenes that start there or nearby and go onward via Bcn.

To me it sounds like going to the Spanish ticket office is by far the easiest option. Or is it risky to wait until you're there to make a reservation on the spot? Do the reservations for Spanish domestic trains easily sell out?