Solved

How do I book the night train from Budapest to Cluj Napoca with Interrail discount?

• 11 February 2024
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I'm trying to book a night train reservation for Budapest Keleti (departure 23.10) to Cluj Napoca on 3 March. I have tried booking through the ÖBB website, but the interrail discount is not being applied, and I end up with the full price of €72 for a couchette.
When I enter Vienna as starting location however, I can make a reservation for €13.40.

When I check the train with MAV the availability is still high, but the interrail discount, even though it can be added to your person, does not alter the price. There the ticket for a couchette is € 42 though.

What would happen if I book Vienna to Cluj for €13.40, but board in Budapest? Will my reservation be voided if I don't get on the train within 30 minutes of departure?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 12 February 2024, 09:39

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes the reservation will most likely be void. I believe OBB was able to sell discounted couchettes from Budapest so it’s a bit weird… maybe someone else knows more.

If nothing else works, could you book the train a few days in advance at a DB ticket counter (maybe only at Reisezentrum) ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I'd call ÖBB: +43 5 1717. They should be able to book that and also send the reservation via e-mail.

I believe OBB was able to sell discounted couchettes from Budapest so it’s a bit weird… maybe someone else knows more.

Thanks for your reply! I found out that if I enter Sighisoara (same departure, train splits somewhere in Romania) as the end destination, the Interrail discount does work, strangely enough. Might be a bug in the ÖBB reservation system. So I am now considering going to Sighisoara first and then back up north to Cluj Napoca, if I can't manage to make the reservation at an NS international ticket counter. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I believe OBB was able to sell discounted couchettes from Budapest so it’s a bit weird… maybe someone else knows more.

Thanks for your reply! I found out that if I enter Sighisoara (same departure, train splits somewhere in Romania) as the end destination, the Interrail discount does work, strangely enough. Might be a bug in the ÖBB reservation system. So I am now considering going to Sighisoara first and then back up north to Cluj Napoca, if I can't manage to make the reservation at an NS international ticket counter. 

Sighișoara is on the branch to Bucharest, which can be booked online via ÖBB.

Have you tried calling ÖBB? The fact that you can't book online, doesn't mean they can't book it at all.

Sighișoara is on the branch to Bucharest, which can be booked online via ÖBB.

Have you tried calling ÖBB? The fact that you can't book online, doesn't mean they can't book it at all.

I was waiting because I was considering to change my itinerary. But I called today. It seems to be a technical issue. I had to wait 20 minutes on the phone and they couldn't fix it right away.
Their advice was to book via ÖBB anyway, with the Interrail discount turned on (even though it doesn't work), and pay the full amount. After booking, send them a message through their contact form to ask for the money back.
Not ideal, but I will do it.​​​