Solved

How do I make a recommended reservation when there appears to be no ability to make one?

• 19 January 2024
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

How do i make a reservation when it says “This is a popular train. Seat reservations are recommended but not required.” but there is no option to reserve a seat?

I have a 1st Class 15 day pass and the trip I am looking at is may 6 from Vienna to Prague at 11:10AM

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 19 January 2024, 11:02

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You'll be able to make it through ÖBB for free (add Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets). Seat selection available.

But right now it's too early, check back in a few weeks : 3 months in advance likely is the deadline.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’d like to know whether my first class Eurail pass can handle late changes.

My current plan is to reserve a trip on the Vienna 10:39 Praha.hl.n 14:37 3 hours 58 Min train on May 6. However my neighbour has suggested that the boat trip from Vienna to Bratislava has some spectacular scenery and may be worth doing. A quick search reveals that we could leave by boat at say 8:30 AM and get to Bratislava at about 9:45. From what I can see there are numerous trains from Bratislava to Prague departing early afternoon making the diversion viable.

What would be the impact if I made a reservation on the Vienna to Prague now, but decided to pursue the Vienna > Bratislava > Prague option a day or two before our departure from Vienna? Would there be a financial penalty for cancelling our reservation? Would it be likely we could find a seat from Bratislava to Prague if we tried to make the reservation that late? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Your pass can handle these changes just fine, it’s probably the most flexible rail product on earth. You can decide on the spot the train you’ll be taking.

Reservations =/= Interrail pass.

You can reserve up to a couple of minutes before departure, there are last minute reservable seats on RailJet (the train you will be taking) or you just sit on a free unreserved place.

Reservations are usually not refundable, since it’s just a small fee in Austria.

If you won’t be sitting on your seat, the reservation will be lifted 15 min after departure of the train. There’s no financial penalty.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Since you travel 1st class, the reservations are free of charge on tickets.oebb.at.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks for that.

I have no idea how busy the trains will be at that time, so should/can I book seats on both trains and just cancel the one I don’t want a day or two early? That may be a safer option, especially if there’s no reservation fee

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I have no idea how busy the trains will be at that time, so should/can I book seats on both trains and just cancel the one I don’t want a day or two early? That may be a safer option, especially if there’s no reservation fee

You can book both, but you can't cancel. That's no problem though. If you don't turn up for a booked seat, then someone else can use it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks. I’ll do some additional homework about the boat trip to make sure, but booking both seems like it might be a worthwhile options depending on the boat cancellation options etc.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’ve just been looking at my reservations. I made this one and paid my 6 Euro (even though I now realise I didn’t need to, but now I realise that it says no discount is recorded. Am I able to add my Global Pass discount to this booking, or should I make a whole new reservation?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Please ignore my last question. I know the answer is that my reservation stands and my Global Pass is the ticket, which I can prove it tested