Solved

How to know the correct train

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

So I’m travelling in a few days and am deciding what trains to get my the Interrail app. By the app, it says that none of these trains need a reservation. But when I get to the train station how do I know which train to get on and if my pass covers it? 

On the app it says ICE 645, from Berlin Hbf- Brussels central with a couple of change overs. Will this be shown at the train station and how would I know which platform to get on etc. Also, when I need to get off for a change over how will I know to do this? 

I know that people have said to check online as well as using the app but how do I know which train service I’m checking for? And for each country, how do I know this too.  

icon

Best answer by mcadv 4 May 2022, 13:16

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

There are depature boards at the stations and on the tracks ususlly you can see the final destination of the train and the train number together with the platform :)

You could indeed check your connections online just google Country XYZ and rail and you should find the websites :) Incase of germany you can use DB NAvigator (their App) or the website bahn.de to check in advance from which platform your train departs.

The railplanner show you in the details at which stations you have to change. As suggested here 100times i recommend to trust local railplanners (Websites or Apps) more as the railplanner of Interrail as most of them have a live update so if the tracks are changed on short notice you can see it in the Apps of them. As the Railplanner of Interrail works offline you doesnt get in this app live updates.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

IN each&every flashy white ICE train in DE from DB (I´ve used in fact them last SAT also from BER) after each&every stop there will be an announcement-first german, then (bad) english, welcoming you and telling where that train ends and stops at. As any major station there will be ample info on rather modern screens-this train will NOT run to BRU but some other german town (I guess Köln)

Before each&every stop the welcoming ´team´ wil again use the speaker and tell if train is on time-likely not- and tell about any connections (Anschluss), with platform nr-this will also be shown on screens above the middle gangway In the train-or sometimes at other screens at the and beside doors.

Whilst seated after some time the ´team´ (of 2 nice people) will also come by and ask for Tickets/Fahrausweise- then and only then is the time to show pass. You can then also ask them any Qs you may have and they will even do their very best to help you.

There will then also be yet another announcement that the (overpriced) BarBistro is open and welcomes you for visit-drinks and some snacks and a few food items.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

There are depature boards at the stations and on the tracks ususlly you can see the final destination of the train and the train number together with the platform :)

You could indeed check your connections online just google Country XYZ and rail and you should find the websites :) Incase of germany you can use DB NAvigator (their App) or the website bahn.de to check in advance from which platform your train departs.

The railplanner show you in the details at which stations you have to change. As suggested here 100times i recommend to trust local railplanners (Websites or Apps) more as the railplanner of Interrail as most of them have a live update so if the tracks are changed on short notice you can see it in the Apps of them. As the Railplanner of Interrail works offline you doesnt get in this app live updates.

Really helpful. Thank you. How do I know which trains are included in the interrail tickets and which ones aren’t so I only use the interrailing trains.