Solved

I have 2nd class seat reservation, my family got cheaper 1st class seats, hot to travel together?

• 14 September 2023
  • 3 replies

I have a 2nd class Europass. My wife and 4yr kid got cheaper tickets in 1st class so we booked them. Is there any way we can travel together? we all have got our seat reservations.

I am open to paying fee for my upgrade or

them being allowed to travel in 2nd class?

Can someone suggest some possibilities?

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 14 September 2023, 06:34

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Without providing more information there is no way of knowing; date, time, journey, train, ticket types...

Without providing more information there is no way of knowing; date, time, journey, train, ticket types...

My travel date is tomorrow (Friday), train ICE, from Berlin to Paris, (1411 hrs)

Ticket type are

Self: Eurorail global pass (2nd class)

Spouse and kid - 1st class booked from bahn.de

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

So your options are (someone else correct me if I'm wrong) :

On the 1st train to Frankfurt/Mannheim they may sit with you in 2nd class since reservations are optional (but recommended on such a busy mainline) or you pay 129.10€ upgrade to sit with them.

On the 2nd cross-border train everyone will have to sit at their booked seat. But nothing forbids you to meet each other in the dining car. :)

Another option if you haven't used your pass yet would be to exchange it to a 1st class pass. But then there still is the question of availability on the cross-border train.