Solved

I need an eticket but a paper ticket is my only option

• 3 March 2024
  • 9 replies

Hello everyone,

I am currently travelling, trying to make my way down from zagreb to split. i have my eurail pass already, so im looking to only book the seat reservation. when i attempt to do so online, eurail website states my only way is though a paper ticket. since i’m not home, it’s impossible for me to receive a paper ticket, so an eticket is my only option. the same issue also arises when attempting to get from gyoer to zagreb. is there a way around this?

thanks!

icon

Best answer by eurocity101 3 March 2024, 16:18

View original

9 replies

Daytime train reservation (the one at 15:18) should be possible online via the ÖBB website for 3€. Use Interrail as a discount and choose one-way-ticket.

If it doesn’t work, try it at a ticket office in Croatia.

hello and thank your for the fast response!

i was able to get that ticket, so i should be good from zagreb to split. 

i now need to find a journey from gyoer to zagreb (this would be before i go from zagreb to split). when i search the journey it shows a few options to reserve, but when i attempt to reserve them it shows that the service isn’t available. 

i can also see that there’s one journey that doesn’t require a reservation - it’s 3 separate trains. in your experience, how likely would it be for these trains to be full? i already have zagreb → split booked, along with hotels, so missing a train isn’t an option. 

i can see on the eurail website that i can reserve at the train station, so how likely is it that these trains would be full? i didn’t think these were very high volume trains, but maybe im wrong. 

thanks

On which date are you taking the train to split?

I think it’s unlikely that the trains are full because it’s low-season at the moment.

Tip: If buying reservations on the ÖBB website fails, try to book domestic hungarian trains on the MAV (hungarian railways) website using “only seat reservation” and/or book every train separatly.

I checked the only connection with the single change in Balatonszentgyörgy using the direct train IC 204 from Budapest to Zagreb. It seems you can book it from Budapest to Zagreb but not from a intermediate station.

But it will be necessary to stay a night in Zagreb.

i am trying to get from Gyoer to Zagreb on March 15th. i currently have a journey that has 2 crossovers (3 trains), none of which require reservations. so in theory. i should be able to board and ride each train with no issue as i’ll just use a travel day on my pass. i’m just nervous that i’ll arrive at the station, and the train will be full. i’m not sure of the likelihood of this though. 

thank you for taking the time on this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

i am trying to get from Gyoer to Zagreb on March 15th. i currently have a journey that has 2 crossovers (3 trains), none of which require reservations. so in theory. i should be able to board and ride each train with no issue as i’ll just use a travel day on my pass. i’m just nervous that i’ll arrive at the station, and the train will be full. i’m not sure of the likelihood of this though.

That is very unlikely in March.

that’s good news! 

sorry if this is a silly question, i’m still trying to figure this whole thing out lol

would the train stations sell tickets the day before the train leaves? i arrive in Gyoer on the 14th, and im hoping to get on the 15:39 train (on the 15th) towards zagreb. this is 3 separate trains, 2 changes. would the Gyoer station sell reservations for all 3, and i can buy them all at once? or would i need to buy them separately at each stop. they are somewhat short layovers (20min) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You only need a reservation (not a ticket!) for IC the train Győr-Szombathely. You can get surely get it 1 day in advance or even on the day itself. You can also book it on cd.cz for around €3. You can also book a reservation for the 3rd train there, but that's not really necessary. For the second train just don't bother.

awesome. thanks so much for taking the time with this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The IC reservation for the first train should be cheaper in Hungary: 1 day in advance 650 HUF and on the day itself 990 HUF.