Solved

ICE reservation Germany

• 28 April 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello, I have a question. On the app it seems not mandatory to reserve ICE trains to travel in Germany (national connections). But I do not trust the app anymore, too many flaws.

Do you know if it is ok just to jump on a ICE without reservation? 

Thanks

Marco

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 28 April 2023, 11:56

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In Germany, reservations are optional for all domestic journeys in ICE, IC, EC, TGV, RJ.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

On what route did you see the information that seat reservations are mandatory on ICE in Germany? This should be error reported. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

On what route did you see the information that seat reservations are mandatory on ICE in Germany? This should be error reported. 

I wrote NOT mandatory

Userlevel 1
Badge

In Germany, reservations are optional for all domestic journeys in ICE, IC, EC, TGV, RJ.

Great.

I have a 1° class pass, so maybe it is easier to find always a free seat. But in case the train is full, what they do?

You can just make the travel standing?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes you would have to stand but very unlikely in 1st class. You can check how busy the train is on bahn.de (process of making a seat reservation)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you have first class, you can make reservations free of charge on tickets.oebb.at (or the ÖBB app). Add the Interrail/Eurail discount and then select "One-way tickets”.

Userlevel 1
Badge

If you have first class, you can make reservations free of charge on tickets.oebb.at (or the ÖBB app). Add the Interrail/Eurail discount and then select "One-way tickets”.

Thank you!

Great tip.