Solved

ICE seat reservations for a group

• 19 June 2023
  • 2 replies

Hello,

on July 7, we will be travelling with a group of 30 people. We will go from Brussels to Zagreb, and are planning to go via Frankfurt and get the night train in Stuttgart. (Seat reservations for night train are booked.)

My question is, do we need to book seat reservations for the ICE train from Brussels to Frankfurt? Because it says reservations are not required, but we are a big group and I am afraid that the train would be full if we have no seat reservations. 

The starting point of the ICE train is Brussels, so by definition the train would be empty when we would get on the train… But still wondering. (Maybe everyone else has seat reservations so that we cannot get on the train because all seats are reserved?)

Thanks in advance!

Paulien

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 19 June 2023, 12:49

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Extremely recommended as you're a group + ICE trains from Belgium are very popular, otherwise you'll stand for the whole journey. There are not many seats left : 76 seats on the 06:23 ICE, 59 on the 08:23 ICE, sold out on the 12:25 train and 21 on the 14:25 train.

See this page (in German) and call the number : https://www.bahn.de/faq/wie-kann-ich-fuer-mehr-als-5-personen-reservieren

Otherwise you can make separate bookings for groups of 5 people through bahn.com : 4.90€ per journey (a bit expensive for 30 people in total). There's a seat map but don't expect to sit together anyway. Maybe go and ask at a SNCB ticket counter, I'd do that first.

Have a 45 min (or longer) margin at whichever station you change because German trains are notoriously delayed...

Thank you so much for the information! We will book the seat reservations right away!