Solved

If I book Eurostar now will that count as my one allowed outward journey or will the pass cover both journeys which in normal times would be one journey?

• 14 June 2022
  • 6 replies

I have recently purchased a global pass for a holiday in September. My outward journey (all on one day) is from my UK home to Lille. I can book Eurostar now and would like to do that to be sure I am on the train I want. However UK domestic trains will not have timetables issued for September for some weeks so cannot be booked. 

If I book Eurostar now will that count as my one allowed outward journey or will the pass cover both journeys which in normal times would be one journey?

I do not want to book any other part of the holiday because if fares only from/to London are covered then the pass is not worthwhile having and I will return it unused.

Suzy

icon

Best answer by seewulf 14 June 2022, 20:04

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I have recently purchased a global pass for a holiday in September. My outward journey (all on one day) is from my UK home to Lille. I can book Eurostar now and would like to do that to be sure I am on the train I want. However UK domestic trains will not have timetables issued for September for some weeks so cannot be booked. 

If I book Eurostar now will that count as my one allowed outward journey or will the pass cover both journeys which in normal times would be one journey?

I do not want to book any other part of the holiday because if fares only from/to London are covered then the pass is not worthwhile having and I will return it unused.

Suzy

It cover both trains :)

Thank you. I don’t know how to ask in the community. I thought that is what I had done.

Suzy

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The domestic in GB do not need to be reserved-but must be added to tripreport and also MUST be on same day as €* getting out of this funny island in the Northsea, same for coming back,. If you are determined to get also Seat RES to LON-do it at your own local staton a few days advance, its free.

Thank you mcady

I understand that I do not need to reserve a seat in the UK. However the rules seem to say one outbound journey. They do not say one day of outbound journeys. So if I reserve Eurostar from London now will interrail cover another in UK journey for the same day booked at a different time. Computer systems are very unforgiving when you deviate from what they expect.

I am restricted when I can travel so cannot leave this to chance and I do not want to find out the answer to this question when I have already used the pass because if I cannot claim the other in UK journeys it is not cost effective.

Jackie

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

However the rules seem to say one outbound journey. They do not say one day of outbound journeys. So if I reserve Eurostar from London now will interrail cover another in UK journey for the same day booked at a different time.

The pass will know nothing about which trains you have booked. it's no problem to book your Eurostar now.

You can use any number of trains on the travel day of your outbound or inbound journey.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thank you mcady

I understand that I do not need to reserve a seat in the UK. However the rules seem to say one outbound journey. They do not say one day of outbound journeys. So if I reserve Eurostar from London now will interrail cover another in UK journey for the same day booked at a different time. Computer systems are very unforgiving when you deviate from what they expect.

I am restricted when I can travel so cannot leave this to chance and I do not want to find out the answer to this question when I have already used the pass because if I cannot claim the other in UK journeys it is not cost effective.

Jackie

They are referred to as 1 outbound and 1 inbound journey, the intention of these is to allow passholders to get from their home to a neighbouring country (as you wish to do) but there was never going to be a workable way of restricting the home country travel to just journeys fitting that criteria so they are simply 2 days where your pass is also valid for unlimited travel in your home country as well as the rest of Europe.