Solved

If there is a delay I should get a seat on train next day but how does it work when your pass is expired by then?

• 23 April 2022
  • 4 replies

I’m planning a trip to Europe from the UK. I’d like to take the last Eurostar train back to the UK from Brussels on the last day of my pass, but am now wondering what would happen if my connecting train to Brussels, from Germany, is delayed. I’m aware that I should get a free seat on the next train the next day since it’s not my fault (and presumably a hotel night in Brussels?), but I’m concerned I’d get problems since my month would then have expired. Would I still be put on a train the next day without any issues? Or should I plan on getting an earlier Eurostar train? It’d give me much less time elsewhere so I would prefer not to, but I don’t want to get stuck in Brussels and have to buy a completely new ticket.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 23 April 2022, 12:02

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In case you miss the last connection of the day and are stranded, you will be entitled to:

• Accommodation for the night and (if necessary) transport to/from it.
  • Meals and refreshments in reasonable relation to the waiting
    time.
  • Travel on the next available train to your destination.
  • Compensation for delay.

This all follows from EU Regulation 1371/2007. The fact that your pass validity will have ended is irrelevant. It's the railways’ responsibility to get this all arranged for you, so do speak to staff if you find yourself in such a situation, or even earlier, if you think you are going to be stranded.

[By the way, the UK is part of Europe :)]

Thank you so much, rvdborgt, for confirming that! Reading other topics it seemed that I might have to pay for the travel the next day, but get the seat reservation/Eurostar fee ‘for free’. There was a topic about someone whose night train was delayed and they had to use another day on their pass the next day, so that was what worried me.

Yes, UK is part of Europe - it’s extremely ironic that I wrote that, I’m not actually from the UK originally, but ‘from Europe’ and it always irked me when Brits use that expression (a lot!). But it seems that I’ve lived here long enough now that my speech has been contaminated ;-)

Badge

@rvdborgt 

Last time on 19th July, Eurostar to London from Paris was delayed for 2 Hours 20 minutes. Can Interrailers apply for compensation? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Last time on 19th July, Eurostar to London from Paris was delayed for 2 Hours 20 minutes. Can Interrailers apply for compensation? 

https://www.interrail.eu/en/support/delay-compensation