Solved

Included in Global pass / reservations mandatory

• 11 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello

I’m new to this but would like to spend Christmas travelling a little of Europe using mainly the OBB night jet to sleep in and then explore the city I arrive in next day.  

Is this viable over Christmas?  Would it be advisable to stay in a hotel the nights 24/12 and 25/12?

Is everything closed Christmas Day and the following day including transport in Austria, Germany, Croatia?

If I buy the Global ticket is it really cheaper? Is  Eurostar covered by a Global ticket?  I guess it’s better to book once I’ve put the journey together but if the train is late and I miss the connection (mainly Brussels to say Munich) what happens then?

If I’ve understood the site correctly you can book hotels via this ticket?  Is that right?  

Does the mobile pass have the same facilities as the Global pass?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I wanted answers from experienced people so I can confirm my understanding is correct from what I’ve researched online so far.

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 11 October 2022, 15:32

View original

3 replies

Hello @Sue Clark! Thank you for your post. This sounds like a lovely plan! Let’s go through your questions:

Is this viable over Christmas?  Would it be advisable to stay in a hotel the nights 24/12 and 25/12?

When it comes to planning a trip during Christmas Holidays, it is up to you if you would like to spend time travelling with the train or exploring cities.
Please notice that it is necessary that you make your reservations as soon in advance as possible, especially if you are planning to travel during Christmas.

Is everything closed Christmas Day and the following day including transport in Austria, Germany, Croatia?

The 25th and 26th are official holidays and stores will be closed, but many restaurants are open. Museums and tourist attractions may or may not be open, so it is best to check their websites. Don't worry, public transportation doesn't shut down over Christmas in Germany. In general, public transport will run on Sunday schedule for the other countries, too.

If I buy the Global ticket is it really cheaper? Is  Eurostar covered by a Global ticket?  I guess it’s better to book once I’ve put the journey together but if the train is late and I miss the connection (mainly Brussels to say Munich) what happens then?

If you are planning to make multiple trips, then the Global Pass is suitable for you. Don’t forget that you may need reservations on some popular trains, night trains and international, high-speed trains. 

On our website you can find information on how to check if you need reservations, how to make them, how much they cost and how to avoid them whenever possible.

The Eurostar is included but it requires reservations. Please try to make these as soon in advance as possible! If you miss a connection, please rebook directly at the station. They should be able to support you. 

If you experience a delay, please fill in our Delay Compensation Request online form after thoroughly reading our Delay Compensation policy, which you can find on that same web-page (click the + sign to see the drop-down above the form).

If I’ve understood the site correctly you can book hotels via this ticket?  Is that right?  

You can use the Pass for retrieving several discounts, but you need to book with the accommodation directly. Pass holders get a discount on accommodation at multiple European hostels and hotels. Please check the Pass Benefits Portal (eurail.com) and click on ‘’accommodation” on the options menu.

Does the mobile pass have the same facilities as the Global pass?

The Global Pass is also available in the mobile version. It is the same Pass, only its electronic version. Please check more information on this page:

Mobile Pass Frequently Asked Questions (interrail.eu)

I hope the above answer your questions! Please let me know if you have any follow up questions. I wish you a lovely trip!

Kind regards,

Annie

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Additional: be aware that in DE=Germany, and also german speaking neighbors and some others, in fact from afternoon 24/12 most is closed and this is even more restrictive as Xmas itself (its called HeiligAbend=HOle Eve). Many HTLs will also close on those evenings, but its daft easy to search and look via sites like booking or hotels/combined what there is. 

In fact in DE most trains are also cancelled from late pm on 24/12 till early morning 25.

YOu will also need to stock up as all shops are also closed those days.

In other countries on the side it is far less so, like NL or BE-in NL everything is open on 26.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I would suggest you avoid  the UK from the 24th to 27th December, what is open will be extremely expensive and busy. In addition the statutory holidays will be 26 and 27th so many shops and services will be closed from midday 24th to 9 am 28th. and even then many will be restricted till after the new year.

Trains will run down from mid afternoon on the 24th and there will be, at best, a skeleton service until the 26th.

There will be no tourist attractions open over that period, and again not a lot open in the period between 24th and Jan 2nd.