Intercity Train Between Amsterdam Centraal and Brussels Zanventem Airport: supplement required

Hello,

Can anyone explain to me how does the supplement required in IC Trains in the Netherlands work? I’ve been reading some answers to similar questions related to this topic here but I’m still in doubt if it’s due to going to the airport that I need to pay the supplement. In the DiscoverEU portal says that I need to buy it so I can open the gates at the Brussels Airport at my arrival from Amsterdam Centraal and that it is available at train stations and online. How much does this supplement cost and do I really need to pay for it? I have a FLEX pass btw.

And do this IC trains get too full? I’m quite stressed about this journey because it’s my last connection (I have a flight later that day) and I don’t want to be surprised there. Where can I really buy this supplement and is this connection really frequent?

Thank you so much!

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No supplement needed on this route. DiscoverEU/Rail Planner is incorrect.

The pass (QR-code on the app) should work at gates. If it doesn’t, let the staff know. There is always someone at the gate.

Reservations are not possible on trains in Belgium and the Netherlands. Trains have usually lots of capacity. If you’re worried, simply show early. As it’s the departure station, you won’t have a problem finding a seat. Like usual, people are lazy and mostly board trains in the middle. :)

This connection run hourly.

No supplement needed on this route. DiscoverEU/Rail Planner is incorrect.

The pass (QR-code on the app) should work at gates. If it doesn’t, let the staff know. There is always someone at the gate.

Reservations are not possible on trains in Belgium and the Netherlands. Trains have usually lots of capacity. If you’re worried, simply show early. As it’s the departure station, you won’t have a problem finding a seat. Like usual, people are lazy and mostly board trains in the middle. :)

This connection run hourly.

Thank you! :D If it doesn’t work, will I have any problems, like needing to pay a fine?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No of course not, you have a valid ticket. Simply show the pass to staff and they'll happily let you through

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I'm afraid 2 supplements are being mixed up here:

• The IC Direct supplement in the Netherlands. This one is not needed for international tickets, including Interrail/Eurail.
  • The Brussels Airport supplement ("diabolo tax”). This one is needed to exit or enter the station at Brussels Airport. You can buy it at online but there's also a ticket machine next to the gates. And sometimes the gates are open...

• The IC Direct supplement in the Netherlands. This one is not needed for international tickets, including Interrail/Eurail.
  • The Brussels Airport supplement ("diabolo tax”). This one is needed to exit or enter the station at Brussels Airport. You can buy it at online but there's also a ticket machine next to the gates. And sometimes the gates are open...

How much is this diabolo tax? And can I buy it when I arrive at the airport, or do I need to buy it in Amsterdam? When I tried to buy it online I think it showed the full prices of the connection (as if I wanted to buy a ticket from Amsterdam to Brussels Airport, and it's not my case since I have the Interrail ticket offered by DiscoverEU). Do I need to select a station in Belgium to buy this fee? Since "From Amsterdam" would be an international connection, I'm having problems finding the option to buy this fee.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

How much is this diabolo tax? And can I buy it when I arrive at the airport, or do I need to buy it in Amsterdam? When I tried to buy it online I think it showed the full prices of the connection (as if I wanted to buy a ticket from Amsterdam to Brussels Airport, and it's not my case since I have the Interrail ticket offered by DiscoverEU). Do I need to select a station in Belgium to buy this fee? Since "From Amsterdam" would be an international connection, I'm having problems finding the option to buy this fee.

I don’t think you can buy it in Amsterdam.

Just add Amsterdam Centraal - Brussels Airport Zaventem to your pass as a journey. Your pass is a valid ticket.

The supplement is 6,40 EUR. There are ticket machines and staff to guide you in Brussels Airport, to buy that supplement. Or you buy it online (just the diabolo tax, nothing else. Everything that is more than 6,40 EUR is probably a normal ticket, which you shouldn’t buy), all information here: https://www.belgiantrain.be/en/tickets-and-railcards/airports/diabolo-fee

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

How much is this diabolo tax?

Currently €6.40, please see the link above.

And can I buy it when I arrive at the airport,

Yes you can, that's why I mentioned the ticket machines.

or do I need to buy it in Amsterdam? When I tried to buy it online I think it showed the full prices of the connection

Please follow the link above to buy the supplement online.

@BrendanDB @rvdborgt 

The problem is, when I try to buy the diabolo tax in the website, it asks me my departure station and Amsterdam Centraal is not available in the options. Which station should I indicate there so I can buy it? I don't know if I'm searching in the right place, or if I should indicate the last station before the airport one (I think the available stations are only in Belgium).

Should I wait to buy the diabolo tax physically in the ticket machines in the airport?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

The problem is, when I try to buy the diabolo tax in the website, it asks me my departure station and Amsterdam Centraal is not available in the options. Which one should I put there so I can buy it? I don't know if I'm searching in the right place, or if I should indicate the last station before the airport one (I think the available stations are only in Belgium).

Should I wait to buy the diabolo tax physically?

Go to this page: https://www.belgiantrain.be/en/tickets-and-railcards/overview-products

Scroll down to this:

Click it.
Add Mechelen (any Belgian station will do actually, but Mechelen is geographically logic) and the right date. Click choose your tickets.
Add this supplement of 6,40 EUR to the basket, and complete your order.

Or just wait until you’re there to buy it at a machine :), and if you’re lucky, the ticket gates will be open so avoiding you the extra cost.

Thank you so much! :D