Skip to main content

Hi everybody!

I’m leaving for Malmo this sunday and I’m wondering if my travel is really doable in a one day trip considering the short transfer the app is giving me.  Is any of these trips doable ? And which one of them would you consider doing ?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

ps : it’s the first time I use a pass for travelling, and I also wonder the difference between “train change” and “transfer by foot”.

It will be a long travel day but it is doable. There are many trains between Harburg and Altona : just take the first S-Bahn you see = no need to wait exactly for the 14:04 train. Of course add the one you’d like to take to the app before boarding. Same between Copenhagen and Malmö.

I wouldn’t recommend the 08:25 ICE train out of Brussels : yes it has optional reservations but it is very often delayed and overcrowded. Without a reservation you may get denied boarding (very limited capacity on ICEs to Belgium). If you’d like to take it, make a reservation for the Bruxelles-Midi - Hamburg-Harburg journey for 4.90€ on bahn.com.

I’d leave early (05:56) so you have some margin and if all goes well you can spend the evening in Malmö

Please book the train between Hamburg and Copenhagen ASAP. It is very popular but luckily there are still seats on the 14:58 train on Sunday. The cheapest way is through cd.cz : 73 CK (3.10€).

About transfers : Rail Planner distinguishes S-Bahn stations and the main station (aka transfer by foot). Usually they’re the same one or next to each other (at another level maybe). Don’t worry about that, use bahn.com or DB Navigator app as more reliable planners.

That is a high quality and very complete answer. I thank you a lot! I’ll book right now

You’re welcome. Enjoy your trip and do not hesitate for questions !

Feedback appreciated 🙂 I hope everything will go well : long-distance German trains are often delayed but you have a margin in Hamburg in case.

It's possible to reach Malmö in 1 day but I'd advise you to take the early train because timekeeping in Germany is not the best, to put it mildly. You then have some buffer in case something goes wrong.

In Aachen, don't wait until 8:37, but instead take the 8:22 train to Düsseldorf, where you then have more time to change to the same ICE to Hamburg.

The same in Hamburg-Harburg: don't wait, just take the first S-Bahn to Hamburg-Altona. They run every 5 minutes. The S-Bahn in Harburg leaves in a tunnel, but it's a short walk. Check the DB Navigator app for the departure platform.

You need to book a reservation Hamburg Altona-Copenhagen ASAP. These trains are very popular. There are still seats on the train at 14:58. Book on cd.cz, with the option "Reservation only”, price is CZK 73 or around €3.10.

In Germany, use the DB Navigator app to check delays, platforms etc. Do not rely on the rail planner app; that is only to register your journeys.