Solved

Is Caledonian Sleeper still included in 2022?

• 20 May 2022
  • 3 replies

I cannot find the Caledonian Sleeper direct train from London to Edinburgh in the Rail Planner app. There are only options with one transfer. My questions are:

(1) Is Eurail pass still valid on this train in 2022 whether it is a direct train or a train with transfer?

(2) Is Eurail pass not valid on Caledonian Sleeper direct trains anymore now?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 20 May 2022, 20:35

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

1.yes 2.no (try to make a more clear or/or in future)

BUT: there are 2 fairly important-and money grabbing issues here:

site: sleeper.scot.  Easy to find with mr. google and all answers then easy to read.

As this was recently posted a few times; THIS company-the only remaining to do so, still has the ARRIVAL day as to be written on passes with choice of days. So IF you come from ´the continent´ you need 2 traveldays for the trip.

AND online booking (well, at least for summer coming up) will only show the real sleeper (cost at least 120GBP-for 1 or 2 people) and not offer the reclining seats. Thats more as double as what a night in a Travelodge or PremierInn would cost you-with much more comfort and facilities. Or nearly half the cost of short term railpass.

But yes, I am aware there is a small group of people who relish this idea of sleeper-trains. Having done a couchette from Paris to south-FR a day or 2 ago I am now even less convinced about this.

Also, if you are trying to book for a Saturday there are never any Saturday departures on any Caledonian Sleeper route.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I cannot find the Caledonian Sleeper direct train from London to Edinburgh in the Rail Planner app. There are only options with one transfer. My questions are:

(1) Is Eurail pass still valid on this train in 2022 whether it is a direct train or a train with transfer?

It is a direct train. The app is incorrect in suggesting a change in Carstairs is needed. Hopefully this will be corrected with the next update. If not, you can always enter the train manually.

(2) Is Eurail pass not valid on Caledonian Sleeper direct trains anymore now?

Sure it's valid. Booking instructions are here. Also check the normal fares because they can be lower than the pass supplement.