Solved

Is it possible to book a 2nd class seat with a 1st class interrail pass? Paris - Nabonne sleeper

I have found a 2nd class empty couchette travelling23/07/22 at 21.41Austerlitz to Nabonne 07.10 that I wish to reserve for my family ( of 5)  but take the whole carriage. When speaking to the very helpful staff a SNCF they have reserved bookings over two fist class carriages as we have 1st class interrail tickets and informaing me it’s not possbile to take the second class as I will incurre a fee/fine on the train. 

Any advise or insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 8 June 2022, 10:38

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

With 1st class passes you can certainly also travel in 2nd class. It is no problem at all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

In THIS case with THIS special clas of accomodation it MAY indeed give problems-though even then this should not hold very much. SNVCF seems to distinct in its systems (and agents will never be able to override that-its FR state after all) with couchette between 1st and 2nd= 4 or 6 bunks.

I also think you will not take whole carriage, but 1 compartment=there are 11 or 12 of such in 1 car.

If you are so tied to this date (being a little it flexible seems to be no more possibel for most nowadays), then call again, you will likely get another agent.

IF you are in FR for some time you could try at counter some days before-but chances are no more fully untaken comptmt.

I have used such a train 2-3 weeks ago and after the gate-checks in Paris (they only wanted to see the RES slip) there was no more on board at all. Though there is the odd chance that afterwards-its FR after all, they compare with IT all the listings and come and find you if system alarms its not OK. There were in fact quite a few people on standby who were only allocated berths after boarding

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In THIS case with THIS special clas of accomodation it MAY indeed give problems

Why? Travelling in 2nd class with a 1st class pass is permitted explicitly.